Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to install ArchLinux (for the first time) in VirtualBox to experiment with it. I'm following the Beginner's guide but it seems like I'm getting lost at the "select ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to setup internet connection on ArchLinux as VirtualBox guest?

I'm trying to install ArchLinux (for the first time) in VirtualBox to experiment with it. I'm following the Beginner's guide but it seems like I'm getting lost at the "select mirrors" part.

The problem is pacman cannot resolve the host names and so is unable to install any package. There is a note about network errors on VirtualBox installs and it says to use the "Host interface instead of NAT".

First of all: There is no freaking "Host interface" option for the network. The available options are: Not attached/NAT/NAT Network/Bridged Adapter/Internal Network/Host-only Adapter/Generic Driver

Which one would the "Host interface" be?

Also note that the following options cannot be used (at least without further configuration that isn't mentioned there): NAT Network, Host-only Adapter/Generic Driver
    The OK button is not active when selecting them.

I already tried all the ones that I can use and the result is always:

Code:
    $ping -c 3 google-url
    ping: unknown host google-url
    (I had to use "google-url" because the dumb post validator wont let me "post URLs" until I have posted 15 times... It should probably be improved to ignore URLs inside code blocks...)

So, which is the correct VirtualBox's network configuration to make it work with archlinux? Should you do some extra configuration step not mentioned by the beginner's guide to configure the network inside the guest?

Give the Evo/Lution AIS installer a try. It makes installing Arch a breeze. Even I could actually get it installed using it and I never could get Arch installed the "normal" way.
    No matter where ya' go, there ya' are.

try
    Code:
    ping google.com 
    ping 8.8.8.8
    i guess neither will ping.

try
    Code:
    ip link
    if you get anything more than "lo", e.g. eth0, try this:
    Code:
    sudo killall dhcpcd; sleep 1; sudo dhcpcd eth0
    if that doesn't help, post the output of all commands.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just use the defaults in your Guest setup.

I use VMwareWorkStation v11 for the VM for all my Linux distro's.
    I move the useable memory set at 4G and Disk space at 40G, but otherwise it is all default.
    20G /root, 12G /home, and 8G /swap as my disk setup.

This video makes a quick and easy install.
    I minimized the VMware window so I could watch the video and type in commands to VM Guest easily.

Last edited by ChetanG; 1 Week Ago at 08:36 PM.