Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Problem setting up arch linux

SOLVED I'm try to set up Arch Linux and here is the code:
    Code:
    useradd -m -g users -G audio,ip,optical,storage,video,wheel,games,power -s /bin/bash Name
    And this is the error message I get
    Code:
    useradd: group 'ip' does not exist
    Please help me. Thank you
    Last edited by RedExplosives; 01-25-2015 at 11:21 PM.

Linux Guru
    You are trying to add a user to your os? It's not clear from your description "trying to set up Arch".

Useradd is a lower level utility and if you don't understand the process you may be better off using adduser - if you have it installed.

In any case - useradd is pointing out that there isn't a group ip on your machine and therefore the option -G is failing. /etc/group is a list of groups on your system. If you have reason to think there should be a group called ip on your system it can be added with the command addgroup.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    You are trying to add a user to your os? It's not clear from your description "trying to set up Arch".

Useradd is a lower level utility and if you don't understand the process you may be better off using adduser - if you have it installed.

In any case - useradd is pointing out that there isn't a group ip on your machine and therefore the option -G is failing. /etc/group is a list of groups on your system. If you have reason to think there should be a group called ip on your system it can be added with the command addgroup.
    Thank you i'm getting this info from video i'm watching so how do i add a group called ip.
    I'm trying to install the gui for Arch.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    The command addgroup (man addgroup).

Just Joined!
    Does not work.

Linux Guru
    You will get more help in any forum if you clearly express what you have done (copy and paste), what you expected to happen, and what actually happened (copy and paste).

Arch Linux isn't a beginners distrobution.It sounds like you haven't yet learned some of the basics required to install the OS.These basics are better learned on a distro that is easy to install.There are many of them out there.

Just Joined!
    Should i jsut use it's command
    Code:
    useradd -m -g users -G audio,optical,storage,video,wheel,games,power -s /bin/bash Name
    with out the group 'ip'?

Just Joined!
    The point for me to install Arch is to learn some stuff about linux and if it does not then so be it. I know it is a hard disto to use but i like the challenge.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by RedExplosives View Post
    Should i jsut use it's command
    Code:
    useradd -m -g users -G audio,optical,storage,video,wheel,games,power -s /bin/bash Name
    with out the group 'ip'?
    This will add a user with the username Name. If that satisfies your requirement then sure.

Just Joined!
    -->
    Ok thank you for all your help. What distos do you think would me good for a beginner. Some of the stuff i would like to do is hack, tinker, and just learn more about linux.