Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

No desktop icons,right click,drag&drop in cinnamon as root

Hello everyone. I did an upgrade last october,and now I can't do anything on cinnamond's desktop. I can't right click,drag&drop,select area. I can't even see any icons. This happens only for root user,in gnome based DE. If I am logged in as root in other DEs or as normal user in any DE,everything is normal.
    Any help appreciated.
    Please don't ask why I want to run X and DEs under root. If there is a limitation for gnome based DEs let me now so I can let go,otherwise I am in need of your assistance.

If you're using Gnome 3 by default it does not allow the filemanage to handle the desktop, so possibly a bit different than you are used to. You can enable this behaviour using Gnome Tweak Tool.

I would reiterate the recommendation not to run a desktop as root. It undermines the security and stability of your system. There's nothing you can't do as a normal user with the appropriate configuration.

Actually this happens in cinnamon I just tested some other DEs to check whether the same happens or not, and it happens only with gnome. Currently I have no other gnome based DE than cinnamon and about this I am concerned. Now, I will gladly switch to normal user,but first I need to know that there is no other way. If there is, It is secondary issue, the stability and security.

I have to mention that,before that system upgrade, everything worked like charm in cinnamon even as root

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome Shell. I've been happily working away in Ubuntu/Unity for the past few years and not experimenting too much, so in using Gnome Shell 3.14 now it's the first time since the initial preview releases. Try installing Gnome Tweak Tool and looking under the Desktop settings. The option recently changed but it should refer to either "Icons on Desktop" or to using the file manager to handle the desktop.

I'm not sure I understand your other comment. Are you saying that this file manager issue is the critical requirement and the security/stability are secondary?

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    Cinnamon is a fork of Gnome Shell. I've been happily working away in Ubuntu/Unity for the past few years and not experimenting too much, so in using Gnome Shell 3.14 now it's the first time since the initial preview releases. Try installing Gnome Tweak Tool and looking under the Desktop settings. The option recently changed but it should refer to either "Icons on Desktop" or to using the file manager to handle the desktop.

I'm not sure I understand your other comment. Are you saying that this file manager issue is the critical requirement and the security/stability are secondary?
    Thanks for your reply. Although,i tried gnome tweak tool,and dconf-editor,but with no result. I wonder if it is a matter of dependencies.

Now,about the second one. What I said is, I need to know why it happens,and dont care about security,for now. I am just curious. I dont mind stop using DE under root,after I resolve this.
    Anyway,thank you again.