Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Hardware damage?

Hi all,

sooo I'm kind of new to Linux in general though have briefly tried a few distro's but none of them are what I'm looking for.
    I'm leaning toward trying Arch, I like the idea of being in total control of what is and isn't on my system.
    There's one little thing I want to make sure beforehand though: is there a chance I might permanently damage the hardware if I do something wrong during the process? I have a 3HD system one permanently running Windows so if anything goes wrong with Arch itself and I don't have time to fix it or something it's not a big deal, I'll get back to it later. But I really really don't have cash to spend on new hardware soooo...

(If it's a stupid question, I apologize)

Hi,

to my knowledge, you cannot damage your hardware by installing any Linux distro. The only aspect that you might want to consider is that you might "damage" your Windows OS, whether you decide to repartition it or completely erase it from your HDD.

The installation of Linux became very straight forward over time. All you need are very basic knowledge in general computing. I admit that I don't have much experience with Arch.

The Windows OS is on a completely separate SSD so there's no need for partitioning or dual booting (I usually remove that drive as well as the storage drive when installing another OS, they're all 'plug n play')

I was just thinking that Arch installation might require some hardware tweaking here n there...but not really sure. I'm going through the documentation, slowly lol Just want to make sure I won't accidentally blow up the PC or idk

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    using different disks helps, but be careful, on which disk you install the bootloader.

There was a report of a bricked samsung laptop
    Booting Linux using UEFI can brick Samsung laptops - The H Open: News and Features

But as far as I am aware, this is the only case.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.

OK, most likely idiotic question but bare with me.
    It seems to be a problem with UEFI booting according to the article. If my machines have native UEFI booting but are compatible with BIOS booting...can installing linux still screw them up?

I've already had Kali on both PC and laptop with no problems (or well...you know) recently, so this shouldn't be an issue with other distro's either than right?

-->
    This was specific to samsung and to this laptop model.
    I havent heard of a similar case in the last years.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.