Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Unhappy Miserably stuck with new Arch Linux

Hello,

I have windows 10 and wanted to get Arch Linux as a dual boot. I followed a guys tutorial on Youtube but I can't link it in this forum...

But let me explain what has happened so far: I used a bootable usb to boot up Arch Linux and install the basics in a partition of my D: drive. I successfully downloaded the gnome desktop and xterm (following his lead) and made it all the way to, yeah, 14:30 in the video. This is where he wants to establish an internet connection using dhcpcd and from that get a bunch of packages. Including the option to boot up windows the next time which I can't at the moment.

So, this means that I'm stuck with an offline Arch Linux and I can't even go back to my Windows.

When I try to use the dhcpcd command I get the same looking output as he does. But the ping doesn't work and I surely can't download any packages. Please keep in mind that I don't have any programs installed on this Linux. And please let me know if you need any information. I can see that ip link provides me with two interfaces, one being wlp2s0. I've tried using dhcpcd -k wlp2s0 but it says that dhcpcd isn't running?

Thank you in advance,
    Sincerely a desperate, frustrated noob.

You should be able to provide the web address but modify it a bit, something like www_youtube.com will probably work ...
    Is there any reason why you did not follow the information on the Arch wiki ?

DHCP is a configuration helper, it is not needed to set up networking. Just do it by hand, and finish your install.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by cinidem View Post
    Hello,

I have windows 10 and wanted to get Arch Linux as a dual boot. I followed a guys tutorial on Youtube but I can't link it in this forum...

But let me explain what has happened so far: I used a bootable usb to boot up Arch Linux and install the basics in a partition of my D: drive. I successfully downloaded the gnome desktop and xterm (following his lead) and made it all the way to, yeah, 14:30 in the video. This is where he wants to establish an internet connection using dhcpcd and from that get a bunch of packages. Including the option to boot up windows the next time which I can't at the moment.

So, this means that I'm stuck with an offline Arch Linux and I can't even go back to my Windows.

When I try to use the dhcpcd command I get the same looking output as he does. But the ping doesn't work and I surely can't download any packages. Please keep in mind that I don't have any programs installed on this Linux. And please let me know if you need any information. I can see that ip link provides me with two interfaces, one being wlp2s0. I've tried using dhcpcd -k wlp2s0 but it says that dhcpcd isn't running?

Thank you in advance,
    Sincerely a desperate, frustrated noob.
    i'm sorry to say but with that kind of information there isn't much advice to give.
    also i wonder, how did you "succesfully donload the gnome desktop" without an internet connection?
    but no matter, i would really like to get the link to that video, if only to slap its maker about the head for a while.
    recommend archlinux to someone who just makes their first babysteps in linux, straight from win10? that was extremely foolish.

captain hindsight says:
    there's only one guide to installing archlinux
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it!

YouTube is not a good source, if you need to know how to install Arch Linux there is official guide:
    h_t_t_p_s //wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide

Also if you are a beginning your adventure with Linux then you should probably try something easier to get started, Ubuntu, Mint or Debian they all have graphical installers and you don't have to do much to get started.

Arch Linux requires you to do everything yourself, except from compiling the code, which can be hard for beginners.