Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Angry After installing Arch with no errors, can't install GRUB

So I basically installed everything on a partition on my disk with no problems, but then I couldnt install GRUB... It said installed with no errors, but when rebooting the computer it doesnt even show grub...
    (Note 1:that I want to dual boot with windows)
    (Note 2: I didnt post this in the official arch linux forums because I cant know the answer of that command if I cant even install arch)
    (Note 3: Im not a newbie, i understand many things from linux already)

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Grub should have been installed with Arch. I don't think you needed to do that as a separate operation. That may be your problem - the re-installation may have borked your Arch/grub original installation. Without more information that's about as much as I can surmise. I have done dual boot systems (always install Windows first) and never had to install grub or grub2 separately from the Linux installation (Ubuntu, etc).
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

if you really installed archlinux yourself, you should be able to give us a much better description of the problem.
    hint:
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...roubleshooting
    If a post is too long and unstructured I might miss important information.
    How to ask smart questions | You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

It's all on the wiki

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAlphaSete View Post
    So I basically installed everything on a partition on my disk with no problems,
    This is installing the Arch Base system

but then I couldnt install GRUB... It said installed with no errors, but when rebooting the computer it doesnt even show grub...
    This is likely because you didn't make the grub config using

Code:
    grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

(Note 1:that I want to dual boot with windows)
    You need to have windows installed first and before making grub config you have to make sure you have installed os-prober
    Code:
    pacman -S os-prober
    (Note 2: I didnt post this in the official arch linux forums because I cant know the answer of that command if I cant even install arch)
    The Arch Linux Forums are very helpful but you have to not be afraid to read and re-read the wiki. Almost every problem you can encounter is well documented there and useful for almost every Linux distro in some way. Arch's documentation is second to none