Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Arch Linux : Pacman -Syu "failed to synchronise any databases"

Hello, before I get started I would like to say I'm a complete noob with Linux in general but anyway I keep coming across an error which is stopping me installing arch Linux. I've been searching online for 5 days straight hoping someone else has had the same problem, I found a few but did not give me any information on how to fix or get around this problem.

I've been following the arch Linux guide and YouTube hoping one of them will work but nothing never did.
    Here is a screenshot (I took this in a VB but it's the same if I boot from a USB)

I have internet connection plus I'm using the Ethernet straight from the router to my computer.

I have no clue on whats going on but I truly hope that you guys could help because this could help someone else who as the same problem thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hnrv2; 05-31-2017 at 02:30 PM.

Did you verify the integrity of downloaded ISO?

All I have done so far is downloaded the ISO from here

How would I go about verify the integrity of the ISO? thought I would give you a heads up right now I'm on windows 10 (I cant wait to move to Linux!)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    How to verify downloaded ISO.
    Hint: You can search the net all by yourself, too.

I was having a bit of a googling trying to find one for windows just kept find Linux software but the MD5 checksum is 6492568efbd7f5c876eeb3a3133bb819 now I cant find the default MD5 checksum.

okay I found it

and this is what I've got

p.s sorry for all the images trying to show my steps just in case someone else has the same prob and they are new like me and thank you Segfault for still trying to help me I'm very grateful
    Last edited by hnrv2; 05-31-2017 at 03:52 PM. Reason: wanted to say thank you :)

Next thing is to search the net for error you are getting. I'd do it for you, but you are posting these pointless images instead of pasting text, thus I cannot copy from your posts. If you ever need to post something try to paste plain text, and use code tags.

Arch is not the friendliest distro for a noob. If you really want to try out Arch, download Manjaro as it is based on Arch but is much easier for a beginner...
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.

Okay I will stop with the images. Ever since I've been over my mates place and used his computer with arch on I loved it, I like the idea that you can change everything. Even tho I'm a noob I like a challenge plus I've got my mate who's willing to teach me the basics

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by hnrv2 View Post
    Okay I will stop with the images. Ever since I've been over my mates place and used his computer with arch on I loved it, I like the idea that you can change everything. Even tho I'm a noob I like a challenge plus I've got my mate who's willing to teach me the basics
    You can change most anything on any distro, that's what Linux is - freedom. Since you have a mate to square you away, I'd suggest you get them on board now as installing Arch is quite the challenge. I tried once maybe 8 years ago and just went a different direction as I didn't need the headaches...
    Are you a clueless Kali user? If you can't get Kali running on your own, it ain't the right distro for you.