Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

connect wifi on first login

I installed Arch for the first time and everything goes fine.

After reboot command, system restarts and prompted to login.

There is no desktop-environment installed so dos windows.

Now, when I run wifi-menu as done earlier while installing, it doesn't start and asks to install 'dialog'

Please install 'dialog' to use wifi-menu

I don't have Ethernet connection.

How do I connect to wifi?

Since internet could not be connected, I'm unable to install any package
    Last edited by anuj9196; 07-03-2017 at 03:34 AM. Reason: addition

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by anuj9196 View Post
    I installed Arch for the first time and everything goes fine. After reboot command, system restarts and prompted to login. There is no desktop-environment installed so dos windows.
    wrong. there is no 'dos windows" in linux, since both dos and windows are from microsoft. you are getting the linux console command prompt.
    Now, when I run wifi-menu as done earlier while installing, it doesn't start and asks to install 'dialog' Please install 'dialog' to use wifi-menu I don't have Ethernet connection. How do I connect to wifi? Since internet could not be connected, I'm unable to install any package
    how about just plugging in a wire to use temporarily and install whatever you want? why is that bad? and it appears you didnt install arch correctly if you wanted x. did you try doing a reinstallation and selecting the x system? or putting 'arch linux with x windows" into google and pressing enter? one of the 1st hits:
    How to install x window system (X11) on Archlinux

When you say "Arch for the first time" does this mean you have not tried a linux distro before or do you have other systems? I assume the former. If that's the case I would be inclined to start your linux attempts with something easier. Linux Mint is easy to use out of the box. You'll get a desktop gui and I'd be surprised if your wifi doesn't work out of the box also.
    You can get to know things including the console (dos!) and then try others including Arch if that's what you want.
    Good luck.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    -->
    You need 2 packages to use wifi-menu.
    Code:
    sudo pacman -S dialog wpa_supplicant
    One option is to boot back into your live usb (or whatever you used to install) and use arch-chroot to install the two packages.