Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Guru

Quote Originally Posted by vaskaat View Post
    Admittedly, the Manjaro community is less condescending than Arch's, but c'est la vie.
    yep.
    i've been using archlinux for almost 3 years i think, but i never much hang out or even post on the forums.
    i almost always find an already existing solution to a problem, often in the wiki, or on the forums.
    so there's hardly any need to ask questions.
    socially, it's a little sad. i wish they'd go full blast and ban ALL off topic posts, because those few accepted attempts at socializing or even humour are just pathetic, no offense.

but hey, don't judge a distro by its forums!

Yes, when I run into issues, usually the solution is already posted somewhere. You just have to Google it or use the Arch wiki. Sometimes you find individuals who are fantastic at scripting or Linux, but they are awkward when it comes to interacting with the human race. I have ran into a few before, and pray that God will give me patience and over look their short comings, after all I may come off awkward in someone's eyes at times. But, you can still learn Arch and love the experience. Will you make mistakes? Yes, I guarantee it but you learn how to repair your errors and at the same time gain a better understanding of Linux. So, I say go for it! You can partition your drive and have a different distro on that partition while on the other you have Arch.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

It's true, and one should be prepared for some brusqueness in the Arch world. I do try to research exhaustively before even posing a question, but what some people don't get is that while the answer might be out there, it's often much faster to ask.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    True, some times you need clarity or your situation isn't covered anywhere. Then by all means ASK! Don't let a few bad apples deter you from asking, just be prepared that you may get your answer from such a person. After all there's no such thing as a stupid question except the one that isn't asked. But, this being said, there are plenty of nice people out there who will gladly go out of their way to help you and do it cheerfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_Pipili View Post
    True, some times you need clarity or your situation isn't covered anywhere. Then by all means ASK! Don't let a few bad apples deter you from asking, just be prepared that you may get your answer from such a person. After all there's no such thing as a stupid question except the one that isn't asked. But, this being said, there are plenty of nice people out there who will gladly go out of their way to help you and do it cheerfully.

Alright: I successfully mounted three partitions from a drive, then I go to use the 'mount' command again and all of a sudden zsh says "zsh: command not found." I literally used it a second ago, no typos, and this is standing in the way of my Arch installation. It changes from 'root@archiso' to '127 root@archiso,' or 32 root Switching to another TTY doesn't work. Some said editing the PATH config file works, but no commands are working and I really don't want to restart again.

Quote Originally Posted by vaskaat View Post
    Alright: I successfully mounted three partitions from a drive, then I go to use the 'mount' command again and all of a sudden zsh says "zsh: command not found." I literally used it a second ago, no typos, and this is standing in the way of my Arch installation. It changes from 'root@archiso' to '127 root@archiso,' or 32 root Switching to another TTY doesn't work. Some said editing the PATH config file works, but no commands are working and I really don't want to restart again.

You may have skipped a step. Go to Arch wiki and look up configure zsh.

Thanks. Maybe I missed it, but if not, they should really include that step in the installation guide. They mention the keyboard layout, et al, but not whether zsh has to be configured. And then you research some steps to take but realise the pc has to be rebooted, thereby losing your work.

After running PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:${PATH} AND THEN export path, it seems to be working for now. SO forum saying that the path variable was messed.

I'm glad you figured it out, I wasn't surprised that you could. As I said earlier, you will make mistakes and that's okay. Just go step by step. Take your time and you have plenty of support. So have fun!