Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Why does Arch install packages so quickly?

So I have distro-hopped quit a bit, and recently I installed Debian without a DE. When I installed one (Cinnamon) it took a while (about 15min) to install it. But Arch took about 5. Why is this?

If we don't count download times, then Arch takes about 2 minutes, while Debian takes 15 or more.
    Last edited by CarterCox; 02-13-2018 at 11:33 PM.

I think that Debian (depending on auto-refresh setting) contacts the repo servers to get latest lists for each install, while Arch just checks the local copy and tries to do what is asked. I turned off the auto-refresh on my openSuse installation to significantly increase install times, as I refresh the repos manually. Check?
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.

Linux User

Arrow

I agree that Arch searchs for packages really quickly, but I'm saying, once dependencies are checked and packages are downloaded, Arch takes no time to install the packages while Debian (and derivatives), Fedora and Gentoo (duh) take a really long time (especially on my who-knows-how-many-years-old 160Gb Hitachi HDD :P) but in Arch it seems I'm using a fast SSD.

Install times seem so fast sometimes I think something failed and there were no error messages, then I run stuff and everything works perfectly...

I have never tried any Slackware derivatives, and I will soon (It's just Arch takes too much to set up correctly that I don't want to mess it up with a dual-boot), so I can't tell you if Arch is faster than OpenSUSE, but it is *definitely* faster than the others, and I've tried every major distribution.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    -->
    It is due to the quality of the pacman programming. I really miss my Arch, had it on a 32bit netbook.....

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk