Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis2 View Post
    I am afraid there is, running as root is the microsoft windows way.
    There is what?
    I think the Windows way would be "running as Administrator".
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis2 View Post
    Linux is not and never will be windows, until you understand that
    I am well aware. That is why I don't use a Linux distribution on my main computer. I'm not saying they are inferior, but that they don't serve my purposes now, simple because it lacks compatibility with some stuff I need.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CarterCox View Post
    And I know running graphic tools as root is not recommended, but I don't really mind, I do it all the time.
    i don't mind either (when you do it).
    just be sure to include that information everytime, when asking for help when things "mysteriously" start breaking.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    i don't mind either (when you do it).
    just be sure to include that information everytime, when asking for help when things "mysteriously" start breaking.
    I will. Maybe we'll discover a hazardous program for the first time and have it removed from the official repositories, where programs have been tested extensively by the OS developers. I guess they are not as astute as you guys. If only more bright young men like you were part of the team, the Linux world would be a safer place for us all.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by CarterCox View Post
    I will. Maybe we'll discover a hazardous program for the first time and have it removed from the official repositories, where programs have been tested extensively by the OS developers. I guess they are not as astute as you guys. If only more bright young men like you were part of the team, the Linux world would be a safer place for us all.
    i don't understand what this even means, or what it has to do with the topic at hand.
    nobody will flag gufw as "hazarduous" because it can't be run as root.

Linux User
    i don't understand what this even means, or what it has to do with the topic at hand.
    Sure you do.
    nobody will flag gufw as "hazarduous" because it can't be run as root.
    Not on Arch. How about the other dozens of OSs that allow it by default?

Linux Guru
    i see the sort of discussion you are trying to pull me into, and i will not be pulled into it.
    fact remains, your "Trouble starting gufw on X" has long been solved, you just won't accept it.

here, have this.
    Are you "man enough"? Is your "sword" long enough? Do you compensate?
    Do you like guys with guns?

Linux User
    -->
    i see the sort of discussion you are trying to pull me into, and i will not be pulled into it.
    fact remains, your "Trouble starting gufw on X" has long been solved, you just won't accept it.
    It is hard to move on, this post means a lot to me, you must understand. Please!

The post is solved, but you guys kept gabbing about how dangerous is to run GUI apps as root, so I followed along. Seems there are no further arguments so the post may end now!
    here, have this.
    Heh, that is a very funny post. I still need my regular account to use makepkg so I won't be needing it any time soon.
    Are you "man enough"? Is your "sword" long enough? Do you compensate?
    Do you like guys with guns?
    I don't mind guys with guns. I do mind hunters though. I find them despicable and pathetic, in addition to fu*ing pus??es.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that I don't mean any disrespect. My knowledge of Linux is very limited, and I can learn a lot from you, so I hope that's what the future holds for me.