Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Newbie: why so complicated to install?

I burned onto a USB stick.
    And now I get a command prompt?
    I was expecting a GUI interface

I did some searching and I understand I have to run many commands to get the install?

Is this how it is?
    I thought I'd ask... just incase I was doing something wrong.

Thanks.

Linux User
    There is an installation guide. There must be about 20 commands to run. No big deal. Some help for a beginner:

To configure WiFi connection use
    Code:
    # wifi-menu
    Then, after chrooting install "dialog" and "wpa_supplicant", so you can connect in the installed system.

To partition devices use
    Code:
    # cfdisk /dev/sdX
    Instead of parted.

Other than that, just follow the guide. (Skip "selecting mirrors".)

The "problem" about those 20 commands is that you gotta know what they do and what you are doing, otherwise you'll be better off installing something else.

If you don't want to learn about Linux or build a customized system there is no point installing Arch. That is why blindly following the installation guide is pointless.

By the way, before installing you should definitely know the basic commands.

Quote Originally Posted by enginestar View Post

I did some searching and I understand I have to run many commands to get the install?

Is this how it is?
    I thought I'd ask... just incase I was doing something wrong.

Thanks.
    this must be the next installment of 'lets guess as to what the poster is actually doing", one of the most popular game shows on the forums.

how about telling us what you actually downloaded? how you burned it? or anything at all, really? pretty much ANY version of linux is no harder to install than windows, but the difference here is that we dont get paid to play 20 questions with you, thats microsoft support's job. load windows if you want that. there are installation guides for EVERY VERSION OF LINUX out there, so did you bother to try to read any of them?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    @CarterCox thanks for the awesome reply. i definitely want to give it a go and learn. happy to read up on what each command is doing and understanding rather than blindly doing.

Quote Originally Posted by habit View Post
    this must be the next installment of 'lets guess as to what the poster is actually doing", one of the most popular game shows on the forums.

how about telling us what you actually downloaded? how you burned it? or anything at all, really? pretty much ANY version of linux is no harder to install than windows, but the difference here is that we dont get paid to play 20 questions with you, thats microsoft support's job. load windows if you want that. there are installation guides for EVERY VERSION OF LINUX out there, so did you bother to try to read any of them?
    @habit sorry mate. i don't know why you're so upset. is it my question that is bugging you or have you had a bad day?

i looked at the forums and they were neatly divided. the subforum i posted into was 'ArchLinux'. i assumed that all questions in this forum, everything was relating to ArchLinux? and if I had a question about another linux i would post in another sub forum.

if i understood it wrong, then my bad. if the convention is to post anywhere and ask anything about anything (regardless of what subforum you are posting in) then please accept my humble apologies.

it's daunting and scary and off putting getting bullied by you when you're a newbie just wanting to learn.

@CarterCox seemed to understand my question ok.

Linux User
    @CarterCox thanks for the awesome reply. i definitely want to give it a go and learn. happy to read up on what each command is doing and understanding rather than blindly doing.
    That's good. All you have left to do is getting your foot in the door.This is how I became an Arch user (:P):
    1. Installed Ubuntu;
    2. Got The Linux Bible;
    3. Read it all (except for the "Server Administration" section, I read that later) and followed it on Ubuntu;
    4. Installed Arch;
    5. Installed Gentoo;
    6. Went back to Arch.

The Linux Bible is great because it puts together a bunch of knowledge in one place, but all the information there can be found online, if you know how to find it.By the way, Arch is an excellent server distribution, even if it's not "advertised" as such. You can build it however you like, so getting it to be a minimal, heavily customized server is not hard at all.

Linux Guru

Is this how it is?
    arch user here, and the answer is a clear and unambiguous YES.

it all starts here: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginner%27s_Guide
    have that open at all times during installation.
    you have to follow every link and satisfy yourself that you did everything required before returning to the main article.

hint: if the arch wiki recommends something, this usually means that you really should do it, unless you're 100% sure you know ehy to do it otherwise.

@habit sorry mate. i don't know why you're so upset. is it my question that is bugging you or have you had a bad day?
    stupid questions and lazy people do that. not upset at all but i sure wont try to play 20 questions with you to drag things out. EVERY SINGLE VERSION of linux has an install guide, so do you really think any of us are going to believe you cant find ANYTHING that would help you? you didnt even bother telling us what linux you were using did you? if someone walked up to you and said 'i cant load things on my computer. this is so hard. can you help me?", what do you think you could tell them if thats all they bothered saying?
    i looked at the forums and they were neatly divided. the subforum i posted into was 'ArchLinux'. i assumed that all questions in this forum, everything was relating to ArchLinux? and if I had a question about another linux i would post in another sub forum.

if i understood it wrong, then my bad. if the convention is to post anywhere and ask anything about anything (regardless of what subforum you are posting in) then please accept my humble apologies.

it's daunting and scary and off putting getting bullied by you when you're a newbie just wanting to learn.

@CarterCox seemed to understand my question ok.
    yeah and NO ONE EVER posts in the wrong forum do they? post details but youve also posted this same junk on other forums havent you? and if your 'scared" by words on a screen, then do everyone a favor and stay off the internet, ok? no one is 'bullying" you when you dont bother giving us anything to work with and expect us to guess, and we tell you so. dont like it here? there are other forums which you have already found.

did you bother to do any research? putting 'how hard is it to install arch linux" into google gives you this as the very first hit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/archlinux/c...ly_as_hard_to/

and 'whats the easiest linux to install" gives you:
    https://www.techradar.com/news/best-linux-distro

or is that 'bullying" you?

Linux User
    stupid questions and lazy people do that. not upset at all but i sure wont try to play 20 questions with you to drag things out. EVERY SINGLE VERSION of linux has an install guide, so do you really think any of us are going to believe you cant find ANYTHING that would help you?
    https://i.imgflip.com/132v0v.jpg
    Please don't scream at me from behind your computer. I won't be able to hear you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by CarterCox View Post
    https://i.imgflip.com/132v0v.jpg
    Please don't scream at me from behind your computer. I won't be able to hear you.
    yea, your always someone i am concerned about and take seriously. really. /s

and why would i even bother following any links you sent since nothing you say matters?

Linux User
    yea, your always someone i am concerned about and take seriously. really. /s

and why would i even bother following any links you sent since nothing you say matters?
    Because it takes you to a funny file!