Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Are any of the rest of you having any odd issues with USB and the latest kernels and UDEV under Archlinux? I've been having a problem ever since Arch started ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Archlinux: USB Issue

Are any of the rest of you having any odd issues with USB and the latest kernels and UDEV under Archlinux?

I've been having a problem ever since Arch started using the 2.6.15 kernels and the newer UDEV releases. Everything seems to work fine, but once I've plugged in my USB flash drive to use it, and then I "umount" the drive and remove it, the PS/2 keyboard stops working (can't input any text in any app), and the X server hangs when I go to reboot, or shutdown. At this point, everything works properly again after the reboot, but the problem repeats itself if the flash drive is again inserted and removed.

I've posted about this matter in the Arch forums and on the bug tracker, but no working solutions have been provided as yet and I can't tell for sure whether it's a USB, UDEV, or kernel issue.

Just wondering if any of you have any similar problems, or ideas about fixes?

Thanks in advance.

ozar
    Last edited by oz; 03-07-2006 at 03:02 AM. Reason: SOLVED
    oz

No problems with that, but I've been having some problems with Eterm saying it cannot find a file or folder, and cannot run because of it, and some other minor things that I never had in my previous install of Arch.

No USB problems (but I don' t have any USB devices on my Arch box)

oosterhouse, did you recently upgrade to Xorg-7 and not read Judd's blog? The Eterm problem sounds like the Rgb path issue that was affecting a lot of people. The upgrade put Rgb in a different place, and if you don't edit your xorg.conf various xterms won't work.

The blog can be found at
    http://www.archlinux.org/blog/2006/0...-upgrade-xorg/

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Awesome, thank you, that was my problem.

Err, rather than awesome, I'd say, I err, uh, made the same mistake.

Haha, well I'm glad there are so many Arch users on this forum.

Sorry there ozar, everything seems to be working fine here (I have a usb keyboard, usb mouse and am using xfce 4.3-svn - I should be the one having the problems). Have you tried mounting your usb flash drive in something like runlevel 3? Have you tried using the ck kernel or are you using the ck kernel?

If you think it's udev, I believe Judd still has a kernel that uses hotplug and devfs maintained (2.6.12). I could be wrong on that but I'll look into it for you.

Bryan
    Last edited by bryansmith; 03-06-2006 at 09:47 PM.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

oz
    forum.guy
    Hi, Bryan - thanks for the reply.

It's nothing mission critical, but it's certainly a small frustration at times. It's odd to me that the PS/2 keyboard and X server are affected simply by removing the USB drive. Yep, I've already done run level 3 mounts/umounts with no luck and I've already tried the ck kernel but it was at a time when iphitus had lots of bugs to work out so I didn't stick with it at the time. Haven't tried it again since then.

I believe you are right about the older kernel being held by Judd but I probably won't revert back to it at this point. I'm wanting to move forward and keep hoping a new kernel or udev will fix it, but no luck for about two months now.

oz
    oz

I have a ps/2 keyboard and I just mounted my usb drive, it worked fine, no problems at all. If you need me to try anything I'd be happy to help.

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks for the reply, oosterhouse.

I'm thinking it might be my hardware (maybe the USB drive itself), as I've not run into anyone else having this problem. The same thing happens whether I run kde, xfce4, or fvwm, so it's apparently not window manager related. I might try a different flash drive to see what happens.

If I think of anything you can try that might help, I'll post back.

Thanks again.

ozar
    oz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast