Find the answer to your Linux question:
Something has happened with Graveman in Arch. It no longer allows me to use my DVD-RW or CD-RW recorders for any recording. This seems to be happening only with version ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Arrow Graveman in Arch

Something has happened with Graveman in Arch.

It no longer allows me to use my DVD-RW or CD-RW recorders for any recording. This seems to be happening only with version 0.3.12.4-2, as the previous package (0.3.12.4-1) worked for months with no issues. I've tried all the latest stock kernels and udevs, but no fix. I've also tried uninstalling/reinstalling Graveman several times without any relief.

On first startup, Graveman's autoconfiguration sees the DVD recorder on /dev/hdc and it shows up under "Devices" in Graveman preferences, but it does not see the CD recorder on /dev/hdd.

When I try to burn an ISO image to a blank disk, neither recorder is available as an option for "writing to", while the DVD recorder does show up as being able to "Duplicate from".

As a test, I installed K3b and it works fine with both recorders. Command-line burning also works fine. However, neither recorder works even when added manually to Graveman.

A fix, or any information about what has changed would be most appreciated. In the interim, I'll continue to burn by command-line. BTW - I've filed a bug report on flyspray.

Thanks in advance!

ozar

Edit: Just an update... I finally got it working by installing an upgrade to the cdrkit package.
    Last edited by oz; 08-10-2007 at 05:50 PM. Reason: updated post
    oz

Just Joined!

Lightbulb

It no longer allows me to use my DVD-RW or CD-RW recorders for any recording.

On first startup, Graveman's autoconfiguration sees the DVD recorder on /dev/hdc
    Hi, buddy!

This happened to me as well. The thing is, Arch linux doesn't seem to use /dev/hdc as a CD/DVD. At least not GNOME and KDE. When I try to mount a CD-ROM using the icon in Nautilus that points to /dev/hdc (not the 'cd' and 'DVD' icons) it does nothing. But if I use the other two -- i.e., 'cd' or 'DVD' -- which are there because of the fstab entries pointing to /dev/cdrom and /dev/dvd respectively, I can access the drive. Hence the solution. Add either /dev/cdrom or /dev/dvd to your devices list in Graveman. That fixed the problem for me.

As for Arch Linux, I find it rather confusing that /dev/hdc is not used any longer. Okay, I understand the need to differenciate between iso9660 and udf mounts, but I don't like the idea of TWO devices popping up in my file managers when I have only one device...

p.s.
    Sorry for the long intro. Especially if you knew all that.

oz
    forum.guy
    Thanks for the feedback, foxen - I was thinking I tried that and it didn't work but it's been a while so I'll try it again.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I have just installed Graveman under Ubuntu to see if it'a distro-specific issue. It seems that Ubuntu's Graveman also uses /dev/hdc node, but it can actually burn to it unlike Graveman under Arch.

Good luck with your tests!