Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey all, Okay, I've hit a bit of a snafu that I can't fix. I have tried everything. For some reason, web browsing for me is really slow. This is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Web browsing is so slow

Hey all,

Okay, I've hit a bit of a snafu that I can't fix. I have tried everything.

For some reason, web browsing for me is really slow. This is not browser dependent. I have tried disabling ipv6 in Firefox and have made sure that my dns servers in /etc/resolv.conf are good. I was trying ubuntu once and fixed it but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to fix it. Pinging targets and pacman both work at great speeds - it only seems to be web browsing.

If you need any more output, let me know.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Is /etc/resolv.conf good all the time? If not you may have to adjust your dhcp client config. Also is it your router's IP or your WAN DNS IPs you entered in resolv.conf?

Thanks for the response bigtomrodney.

I did have a problem with my router IP getting put in there but I managed to stop that from happening by adding the -R option to my DHCPCD_ARGS in /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd (after taking the router IP out).

So, that wasn't the problem. I've traced the problem back to simply having some slow DNS servers. For now, I have switched over to opendns and its flying now. Thanks for the suggestions!

Bryan
    Last edited by bryansmith; 10-23-2006 at 03:50 PM.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)

Yeah how is that openDNS working out for you? I found it slow to begin with, but my ISP has a great DNS server. Is it good? What are your dig times for some sites?

I actually find it to be quite fast. I was originally thrown off a bit by the fact that they are open to everyone and they encourage people to use it. I thought it would be slow but it has proven to be quite reliable. Mind you, I have only used it for about 2hrs now.

Dig times: 247 msec for www.google.com, 82 msec for www.linuxforums.org and 362 msec for www.kernel.org

Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Dig times: 247 msec for www.google.com, 82 msec for www.linuxforums.org and 362 msec for www.kernel.org
    I'll try it again sometime as I like the idea of it, but for the moment that would be a step back -
    Dig times: 30 msec for www.google.com, 26 msec for www.linuxforums.org and 24 msec for www.kernel.org

I all of a sudden like my ISP a lot more.

Wink

If I were you, I would too!

Bryan