Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im doing a new Arch Install and I need to put a DE/WM on....Since Fluxbox is favorite I will be putting it on. But I dont want to use xdm, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fluxbox and a Display Manager

Im doing a new Arch Install and I need to put a DE/WM on....Since Fluxbox is favorite I will be putting it on. But I dont want to use xdm, can i just get GDM from using pacman -S gdm?...I dont want gnome or KDE.

I currently use GDM with Fluxbox but no Gnome on Frugalware, which uses pacman, it works without problems
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Linux Newbie
    Yeah I did fluxbox with gdm, it doesn't install all of gnome, just the display manager.

I went

pacman -S fluxbox
    pacman -S gdm

You can then edit /etc/inittab to have the runlevel be x11 after booting, or add xdm to startup by editing /etc/rc.conf.

I also went

pacman -S rox
    and I added rox pinboard to my .fluxbox/startup. Because well I find fluxbox nearly unusable with a file roller! And rox is fast and lightweight.

I can hardly think of anything faster than arch running fluxbox + rox, besides of course only using console login.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by murph1083
    Im doing a new Arch Install and I need to put a DE/WM on....Since Fluxbox is favorite I will be putting it on. But I dont want to use xdm, can i just get GDM from using pacman -S gdm?...I dont want gnome or KDE.
    Then you don't need gdm, just edit your .xinitrc, here's mine:

#!/bin/sh

xlockmore &
    numlockx &
    unclutter &

ratpoison (replace this with fluxbox)

save and exit
    startx <Enter>

I use Slim and i can prefer it to you.