Find the answer to your Linux question:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0) I have a Amilio 3834G with i guess intel chipset and scsi harddrives, pentium M. I've tried ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

After kernelupdate to 26-2.6.20.1-1 i get: Kernel Panic

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I have a Amilio 3834G with i guess intel chipset and scsi harddrives, pentium M. I've tried to add the lines in grub: modules=piix blaha blaha. I can boot init...bla fallback and it's working. Have googled all day but i cant get it to work hmm.

Anyone, plz help.

Some Intel boards (like mine for instance) require that you add 'earlymodules=piix' to the kernel line of your menu.lst.

You can edit your line by pushing 'e' on your Arch entry at the Grub menu. When you are there, edit the kernel line. Make sure to change it permanently after the system has booted because editing at the Grub menu is temporary.
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by bryansmith
    Some Intel boards (like mine for instance) require that you add 'earlymodules=piix' to the kernel line of your menu.lst.

You can edit your line by pushing 'e' on your Arch entry at the Grub menu. When you are there, edit the kernel line. Make sure to change it permanently after the system has booted because editing at the Grub menu is temporary.
    Still get: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)

And my kernelline looks like this:

root (hd0,4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz26 root=/dev/sda5 ro earlymodules=piix
    initrd /boot/initrd26.img

Just Joined!
    I edited my grub from:

initrd /boot/image26.... to
    initrd /boot/kernel26.img

Now it works. But what have i done?

Arch changed from initrd to mkinitcpio (a replacement developed by members of the Arch community). More info can be found here: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Mkinitcpio

Yeah, if you don't read the message with the kernel upgrade, you can get thrown off. It happened to me many times...
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.