Find the answer to your Linux question:
I downloaded arch voodoo, with torrents form the archlinux website. When i go to burn the downloaded iso image it looks like its burning just fine but when its done ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Arch refuses to burn

I downloaded arch voodoo, with torrents form the archlinux website.

When i go to burn the downloaded iso image it looks like its burning just fine but when its done and i eject the cd then put it back in to see if its burnt properly BUT it tells me that the DVD is empty and there is nothing on it.

There is "something" on it but it just seems like the DVD or CD, i've tried both, is wrecked for ever.

I've tried this several different times with several different DVD/CD's with several different burning programs "k3b", ect. Whats going on?

Thanks
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire

I have now noticed that if i eject the disk then re-insert it it sometimes works! About one in every five (5) times i eject and re-insert the DVD it actually reads the disk correctly and shows me what files are on the disk, instead of telling me its a blank DVD when its not.

I think if i now try and boot from the DVD a few times it might actually work after a few goes.

I still would like to know whats going on tho, any ideas?
    It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.

- Voltaire

Just Joined!
    What speed are you burning the cd/dvd?
    Perhaps forcing k3b to burn at a slower speed (4x)?

I give up.

I got arch to finally install, at least i think so, but when the computer started to load i got a "GRUB error 15".

Which meant that i could no longer access linux but more importantly it meant that i couldn't access my windows XP. And for me, that's bad!

In the end i erased the hard drive with arch on it and re-installed ubuntu, which created a new GRUB menu allowing me to access my win XP hard drive once more.

All in all, i no longer want any thing to do with arch and ill move onto other distros, but thanks to all who tried to help anyways

- Voltaire

oz
    forum.guy
    Sorry it didn't work out for you, tommytabib. Everything has to be edited manually in Arch for the most part, so if you aren't comfortable doing that, it's better to stay clear of Arch until you are.

Maybe you can try it again after you have more experience with Linux. At that point, I think you'll find that you like and appreciate Arch for what it is.

Best of luck in the interim with whatever distros you decide to experiment with.
    oz