Questions regarding Arch Linux prior to switch.
Hello Linux Peoplez!
I am thinking of porting my laptop over to Linux Arch, due to the bleeding fast repo's, the rolling releases and well i've only ever stuck to the basic linux releases such as Ubuntu, Fedora, and LinuxMint. Its time for a change! I have checked the installation guide on youtube and feel it should be easy enough to follow.
Questions prior to switching:
(I have attempted to find answers, but fell short of exact answers, would love to hear some current testimony.)
1. I have an ATI HD 5730 Mobile Graphics card, I had problems before getting ubuntu w/ (pulseaudio) to play movies through my HDMI output in DTS Format. (Note files are 1080p bluray mkv files). Would Catalyst 11.8 be the best choice in terms of graphics driver? and What sound sink should I install?
2. Has anyone tried Starcraft II through WINE with an ATI card and had good success?? What was your FPS like?
3. I need to use SAP Netweaver for school, I noticed its a windows only executable I have and was wondering if anyone has tried it on wine and it worked? WineDB doesn't list it.
4. MS Office 2010 Anyone used it with wine and had success with it? I am supposed to use it to submit files in Access to Sam2010 online school. They say using 2007 may cause small things to end up different and will cost you marks (note it uses an automatic marker to grade your work).
5. Video tearing? I heard mplayer2 is really good now, but I play 1080p files through my HDMI to my Sound System and TV. I love quality, and it would drive me insane if theres bad noise or tearing. Again with the old drivers back when it was catalyst 11.2-3 the quality on movies was bad and tearing was an issue, now they have 11.9 out is it fixed??
Thanks for your time! If you cant answer them all, just one or two would be perfect. Anything you can add helps :)
Sorry if this post annoys anyone, I just want to make sure my switch from windows (again for the 100th time!!) wont leave my day to day hurting.