Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Mac4Lin is back! This is the version 1.0 Release Candidate. Some components are still under development. Currently the shell script is not able to set the GDM theme, cursor theme, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mac4Lin is back!

This is the version 1.0 Release Candidate. Some components are still under development. Currently the shell script is not able to set the GDM theme, cursor theme, sounds, emerald theme. They need to be manually set.

Also components like Firefox3, Thunderbird theme, awn theme/plugins etc. are still under development. The Mozilla themes may not be stable. Hence use the non-core components of Mac4Lin at your own risk. Documentation is still in the pipeline. I decided to release the RC anyway so that patrons can start using it and update to the stable version when development is complete.

Whats new: Mac4Lin v1.0 RC - 9th September, 2008

New! Automated Installer in the form of a shell script
    New GDM theme
    Supports the newest version of GNOME and Xfce
    New Mozilla themes specifically built for Mac4Lin
    Adium style AWN status icons for Pidgin
    Mac style scrollbars, menus
    Other tweaks in GTK theme
    Adium sounds for Pidgin
    New usplash

Keeping up the tradition I'm including the download stats. SF.net alone has served about 10.4TB as on today! I'm also happy to announce that Mac4Lin was one of the winners of FOSS Awards 2008.

Instructions:

Download the Mac4Lin_v1.0_RC.tar.gz archive to any folder. Extract the archive and run Mac4Lin_Install_v1.0_RC.sh file.

For any suggestions/comments/complaints/feedback/bug tracking please drop by my blog or send a mail:

My Blog: Phoenix
    My E-Mail id: infra_red_dude<A.T>users<D.O.T>sourceforge<D.O.T>n et
    Project Website: SourceForge.net: Mac4Lin

Just Joined!

Mac 4 lin

So I can install this and run Mac OSX Apps/Games ie when Diablo 3 comes out I could buy the OSX version and run it on my pc? If so that is AWESOME!!!

Otherwise, whats the point?

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    It is to make your desktop look like Mac OS
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Well that doesnt really help me. If I cant run Diablo 3 in linux (or many other games) then Linux is as useful as a car with three wheels...

Then it sounds like either Windows, Mac OS or both is the operating system for you

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    No crap sherlock...

I have been preaching this for years, in some way or another get the games on Linux. The gaming industry is huge and has driven PC development (Hardware and Software) and is also a bigger industry money wise than the Movie industry!

Linux is a better OS than Microsoft BUT no games... There are Millions of Gamers that use Windows because LIKE YOU SAID they have little choice.

BTW thanks for making my point that Linux SUCKS for gaming. At least you are honest.

But hey dont listen to me now either at least you guys are consistent...

I notice you don't complain that Windows can't run PS3 games, so why would you expect Linux to run Windows games, after all isn't it the same thing? I think it is remarkable and a testament to the skill of the Linux community that there is the ability to run some Windows software and games.

Further, I wouldn't say that Linux sucks for games, rather that it is woefully under-supported by the computer gaming industry. There are some great Open Source games out there and indeed a few good native commercial games. Lets not forget that like any other commercial venture, gaming companies want one thing. Profit. They don't yet see that in Linux. The more people who start to use Linux, the more potential there is for profit.

You could try running Windows games under WINE or a commercial fork called Cedega. Results can be mixed though. Fortunately, for me at least, I am not a huge gamer so the lack isn't a real problem. I am thinking of VM'ing Reactos and seeing if it can run a couple of old games (Freespace and Freespace 2 in case you are wondering).

Ultimately though if you really want or need to run Windows games or software, then Windows is always going to be your best bet. If you want to run Mac games or software then a Mac is going to be your best bet and if you want to run Linux games or software then Ubuntu* is going to be your best bet.

Here's hoping I'm not being trolled as I always like a friendly discussion. If a mod reads this can you fork this discussion into a new thread?

* It's OK I'm wearing my asbestos underwear!

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    Here is where I am coming from, I have used Linux (mainly just playing around with it) since Red Hat 5.2 and it has grown so much to the point I think it is very close to normal people being able to use it. I like it better than Windows but, alas I am a gamer (PS I dont console game its lame especially for FPS but thats another debate) and have tons of games like Crysis, Bioshock, COD4 etc of which 95% wont work in Linux even in Wine.
    Now i have a Quad Core, 8 gig ram, Gieforce 9800GTX gaming system, It makes a lot of sense to me to load one OS and game away. My problem is I really really like Linux and actually like it better than Vista. BUT Vista=all my games work, Linux= most dont. I have said Linux is a superior OS but doesnt have the Support it needs and I THINK the single most important catylst that would launch Linux to the Mainstream is a way to get the games working in Linux. I know several guys who would switch if they could play their games in Linux and many are tired of the Windows crap we have to buy...

So no, I am not a troll.. Really I am a linux fan wishing I could be a full time user...

Every once in a while I post something like this to try to stir up something in the community hoping one day a miracle will happen and some bright minds (smarter than me) out there would come up with a solution...

Just Joined!
    I'm happy to inform you all that Mac4Lin now uses the SVN version control system. The latest version Mac4Lin v1.0 RC2 is available there. Users may checkout to download the bleeding edge version.

The required info is provided here:

Subversion Server: https://mac4lin.svn.sourceforge.net

Path to Repository: /svnroot/mac4lin

Access instructions:

To access a Subversion repository, configure your Subversion client as follows:

* Hostname: mac4lin.svn.sourceforge.net
    * Port: 443
    * Protocol: HTTPS
    * Repository Path: /svnroot/mac4lin

For clients that use a URL string:

https://mac4lin.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/mac4lin

Mac4Lin v1.0RC2 has not been released and hence is not available on the Downloads page. It can only be obtained through SVN. Comments, suggestions, complaints are welcome as always

Just Joined!
    A lot of people have been asking me how to use subversion. I've blogged about using subversion so that more people can pull down the Mac4Lin v1.0 RC2 file and here. Head here: Phoenix: Howto: Use Subversion (and install Mac4Lin v1.0 RC2)

Hope thats helpful

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast