Find the answer to your Linux question:
HI All, I have pentium 166 MHz machine + 48 MB ram + 2 GB hdd. Which linux will work on it? I tried the dsl linsucks. It really sucks, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which linux will work on it?

HI All,

I have pentium 166 MHz machine + 48 MB ram + 2 GB hdd.

Which linux will work on it?
    I tried the dsl linsucks. It really sucks, since not only did I waste my precious time and money downloading the distro, but after booting, it doent configure my network card.

I also tried another linsucks which is based on slackware and uses kde light. That thing doesnt even detect my network card.

Which is a good linux distro for such combo? Is there any easy way to install knoppix on hdd?

Yeah, using the "word" Linsucks doesn't exactly endear you to the people you're asking help from.

DSL is your best choice, believe it or not, unless you're willing to take on Slackware or Gentoo.

I did notice "Ubuntu" in your profile. There's a way to do Ubuntu for modest specs:

http://www.binonabiso.com/en/Ubuntu-miniRAM-HOWTO.html

Otherwise, there's probably no way in hell Knoppix will run on your computer. Sorry.

Oh, and this should really be its own thread. Your question has almost nothing to do with this thread.

Just Joined!
    sorry,

spending/wasting days on some problem really shatters the psychology.
    and especially after reading all the reviews.
    was not meant to show disrespect.

Quote Originally Posted by subscrive
    sorry,

spending/wasting days on some problem really shatters the psychology.
    and especially after reading all the reviews.
    was not meant to show disrespect.
    It's cool. If you have more questions, start up a new thread and I or someone will else will help you out. Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by subscrive
    HI All,I have pentium 166 MHz machine + 48 MB ram + 2 GB hdd.Which linux will work on it?
    one of mine is 90Mhz and 16Mb of Ram with a 1GB hardrive
    and it runs Slackware 10.1 of course yours will run linux if mine can
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

Just Joined!
    Unfortunatly slack is not user friendly.

The lightweight linux (some name that starts with P and uses kde light and is based on slack) that i tried, frustrate me to no ends. Not detecting my eth0, not connecting to inet through modem. Unfortunately I dont have time to do trial and error on the 'expect' 'receive' of the modem scripts - tried for few hours, but then gave up.

Just take a look at win98se. Gets installed on comp which is 10 yrs old. detects many things (not the sound card - but then i have the cd that came with the sourd card). gives reasonable performance.
    Gets installed on the latest machine w/o any hiccups and the performance is 'Oh mon Dieu!'

I wish there was some way to install knoppix/knoppix based distro.