Find the answer to your Linux question:
Per Red Hat full press brief at http://www.redhat.com/about/presscen...03/press_rhl9/ RH 9.0 offers the following: First introduction of new threading technology: NPTL (Native POSIX Thread Library) OpenOffice.org office suite for creation of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    flw
    Linux Engineer

Some details on the RH 9.0 edition

Per Red Hat full press brief at http://www.redhat.com/about/presscen...03/press_rhl9/

RH 9.0 offers the following:

First introduction of new threading technology: NPTL (Native POSIX Thread Library)

OpenOffice.org office suite for creation of documents, spreadsheets and presentations.

Mozilla Web browser , email client, address book, HTML composer and authoring tool

Ximian EvolutionTM email client, calendar and contact manager

CUPS for drag-and-drop printing capabilities

Upgraded core components: Linux kernel 2.4.20, GCC 3.2.1,, GNU libc 2.3 (with NPTL), web server powered by Apache 2.0
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

is there any information on how Redhat 9 effects the performance of your PC? I'm asking as I run a low end Celeron, and don't want to pile more processing on the poor thing.

Just Joined!
    Im currently running RH 9 on a 400mhz celery and it is fine even in gui mode.

It has 256k ram and I owuldnt recommend running it on anything less that that. If work were nto so cheap i might have a decent box but that is by the by.

Seems fine. It doesnt really seem to increase the work load any over previous versions, especially in console mode. In GUI mode it seems about the same. However I havent got any benchmarks or anythign to prove that, Just my personal perspective after using it for a bit.

thanks for that. As I'm limping along on a 333 mhz Celeron with 192mb of memory, I think I'll upgrade the processor and memoru before whacking Redhat 9 on it.

thanks again.

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I'd check or verify your socket type before buying a newer celeron. I don't recall off the top of my head when socket types changed.

But I did find a handy url for reference at http://www.legge40.freeserve.co.uk/Sockets.htm
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

yes, that is a problem. I've an old socket 370 board, and the Celerons I see in the shops are all 478s. I suspect that I'll have to get it from ebay (where I got all the bits that make up my present PC.

thanks

Nerderello