Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
When I first started Linux, I ran Mandrake 9.2, today I still have a small partition devoted to Mandrake (now at 10). Granted I use it rarely, but Mandrake gave ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Distro Loyalty?

When I first started Linux, I ran Mandrake 9.2, today I still have a small partition devoted to Mandrake (now at 10). Granted I use it rarely, but Mandrake gave me such a wonderful induction into the world of linux, i would feel guilty deleting it. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a particular affinity to a distro that they will never (or never have) lost? One special one that they will never delete?
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

not sure what u mean but redhat 8 was good, but now im getting Gentoo

Linux Guru

Re: Distro Loyalty?

Quote Originally Posted by qub333
    When I first started Linux, I ran Mandrake 9.2, today I still have a small partition devoted to Mandrake (now at 10). Granted I use it rarely, but Mandrake gave me such a wonderful induction into the world of linux, i would feel guilty deleting it. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a particular affinity to a distro that they will never (or never have) lost? One special one that they will never delete?
    I see where your coming from. Personally i think it is not "guilt" as such, instead what troubles us is the uncertanty of the unknown, just like when we first moved from windows to linux.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    i think it's not something makes you feel guilty about.i started with redhat 8,then 9 fedora core 1 and now suse 9.1 .although i haven't any of these distros mentioned in my pc.they helped me to learn but we don't stay in the past right?
    Linux For Ever!

I found gentoo...and there's been nothing since. I'll be buried with my Gentoo 1.4 LiveCD.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Gotta be Debian for me

dont get me wrong, i have distro add, untill gentoo, i installed over 100cd's worth of distros, i just kept hopping from one to another searching for my soul mate....then i found it, but i just wondered if anyone kept a little space, (mine is a 1.7g partition on a 240g raid) for that special first one, it took my linux virginity, and that will always be important to me.

Formerly Known as qub333

cant say i have done that but i personally will never ever leave slackware i have decided that it is the distro that is right for me and will never leave. i really didnt learn much about linux from any of the other distros except about setting up the partitions and what not. but i personally will never go back. my first distro i ever installed was mandrake 8 i believe. and i really didnt like it that much but i would love to try out mandrake 10 just to see how far they have come since 8
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

granted it is still a 'newbie' distro if i were to classify it (lots of gui) but of the 3, i find it to be the fastest, I also like mandrake, as i like urpmi to the mandrake cooker, and utilize allot of teh experimental versions. mandrake was also the first major distro to include the 2.6 kernel by default.

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    Gentoo is _the_ distro for me :) I too will be buried with my gentoo 1.4 live cd

http://www.gentoo.org

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast