Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
First of all let me say that I've read the previous questions about games in Linux. They're useful but I have a bit of a different question. I'm not looking ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

New laptop, gaming suggestions please.

First of all let me say that I've read the previous questions about games in Linux. They're useful but I have a bit of a different question. I'm not looking for an FPS here; I've beaten most of those. I just wanted to get that out of the way.

As some of you may have read, I'm receiving a new laptop some time in the next few weeks upon which I plan on installing some form of Linux. What form remains to be seen, but that's not what I'm asking.

On my previous laptop I did very little gaming, but there have come times when I'm in situations where I have an awful lot of time to kill, a spare wall outlet and my laptop. Let's assume no wireless internet, because free WiFi isn't always an option. At these times I found myself hacking away in Diablo 2, mostly.

A good example of this is a yearly convention I attend with my girlfriend. It's essentially a music teachers' trade show. I have no real interest in running around the convention floor so I usually hole myself up on a couch or in a lounge chair somewhere next to a wall plug and kill many hours (and monsters) that way.

With my new laptop there is of course the option to dual-boot and play Diablo 2 on the version of XP that ships in the box. However, before I resort to this I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions for more Linux-friendly alternative games that might keep my attention. Ideas? They don't necessarily have to be free of charge, but it's certainly a plus.

I'm already going to be playing a lot of mahjongg, card games and Frozen-Bubble, and probably some SuperTux thrown in there too. I'm more curious if there are any deeper games available out there that I may have missed.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Battle for Wesnoth Battle for Wesnoth is a fantastic game that I rarely see talked about. It is a turn based strategy game. Has nice graphics and great audio. Comes with a great set of campaigns and has the ability to add more.

Just Joined!
    And there is always freeciv which can keep me entertained for hours at a time.

Main Page - Freeciv.org

Pingus and Neverball are alright I guess. I like to play Starcraft in Wine, Broodwar specifically. It's entertaining in 1st player mode and online. I also do 1v7 top/vs/bottom matches to brush up on what is to come...... Starcraft 2!
    I praise Webmin and PuTTy!
    Registered Linux User: 439431

Linux Enthusiast
    I like Neverwinter Nights 1. Use the ravage installer to make things as easy as possible installing the native client, then grab the updates from bioware.

Sadly NWN2 wont have a native client, but the first one is a good game.

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Along the lines of puzzle games, ksudoku would be my suggestion.
    depending on the difficulty level a game can be solved in 10-15 minutes.
    If you get the latest version, .4 there is a bunch more options such as samurai and 3d sudoku.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

i really like games such as X2 X3 and freespace. they are space combat/trading/empire building games. freespace has been completely open sourced and for an old engine, the graphics are pretty decent. x2/3 are both commercial but tuxgames was selling native linux versions last i checked.
    all of them will take you some time to play through, with freespace being more mission oriented and the x-series being more open ended and slightly more focused on building a trading empire than combat. all are fun and free/relatively cheap and are really polished games that will kill more than a few hours. i'd recommend a joystick but the x series play pretty well on a conventional mouse.
    You know, aliens are going to come to earth in 50 years and kill the hell out of us for DDoSing their networks with this SETI crap
    registered linux user #388463

Well, I appreciate all the suggestions that have come through so far. I should have been more specific in my original request and mentioned some genres I like and don't.

Games like Civilization and space oriented trading/pirating/piloting games really don't do it for me. I inevitably get bored. Most strategy games are like that too. I'll certainly take a look at them all though. You never know. Wesnoth looks promising, and perhaps I can get past the fact that it's an RTS.

I had Neverwinter Nights a while back and ended up selling it. I got pretty far along the initial quest and eventually just stopped playing. I'd pick it up now and again but I don't have it anymore. It's not as easy to find at used book stores as it used to be.

Keep them coming. I've got a while before this convention (it's the middle of February), and I expect the new computer in some time in the next week or so.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I played a little bit of the tutorial for Wesnoth tonight. It has promise. The visuals have had a significant upgrade since the last time I played it, and it's a welcome revamp. I managed to kill an hour and a half just running through the tutorial campaign (I lost). Could be a worthy time killer.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

when i get to work this morning i will dig through and find you a diablo like game. i found a few of the games just like diablo a while back but since i dont really play games like those i overlooked them.

update;
    Daimonin MMORPG - FREE fantasy online multiplayer game
    Welcome to the Freedroid homepage
    S.C.O.U.R.G.E.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast