Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I was first introduced to Linux by a mate , this was about 4 to 5 years ago, My inital reaction was (probably most people had the same thoughts) I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

When where and by whom did you find out about Linux

I was first introduced to Linux by a mate , this was about 4 to 5 years ago, My inital reaction was (probably most people had the same thoughts) I had everything running on Windows so why move?

later he showed me what Linux could do and for its cost (free!) this impressed me and I have stuck with it as a server ever since. I find Linux far more flexable than Windows, I will say however that for most users these days Linux could come across as too complex.

He then mentioned that there is a project going on at the moment called Lindows http://www.lindows.com/ and this looks very promising.

So thats my story short and sweet, what about everyone else?[/url]

Linux Guru
    My first introduction to link was from a PCPlus cover disk, they bundled a cutdown Redhat 5.1 on a CD with the magazine.

I installed it, had a play around with it, but lost interest, as at that point in time i did not really have a use for it.

A year or 2 later, one of the companies i do consulting work for wanted to start looking at linux, so that forced me to take it up again, and i have been hooked ever since. That was RH 7.1 btw.

I now use Slackware 8.1 on the server that runs this forum, and mainly use Redhat 8 at home.

Jason

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Lets see the introduction like a first date went verybad. My boss got fired for some non-IT issues and my new boss with no IT experience read several articles on Redhat linux.

He told me how he always "hated" MS and all it's products (yet he used them) and wanted anything new that didn't requrie MS to run on linux because its free (also ********). So I guess my company and personal time is totally worthless, so the labor was free? Then we had to have a machine it would shine on so for free we bought a new machine.

Then booted the machine and installed RH 5.2 picking packages we had no idea what there were except for the one call apache (the free web server). Since I knew networking and our infrustructure (were in a WAN) I was the one to fill in all the blanks (like what's a gateway or I mean what's out gateway ip?). And as easy as that our WAN had a Intranet. Of course it was just web pages. If you wanted more then you had to spend time on the net trying beg for the answer or buy one of the free books for linux to help solve your issue.

In my opinion, Linux is no better or worse than MS, Novell, or Unix flavors. Since I have to use it for work, I was forced into learning about it. The worst way to learn anything is to be forced into it. What I did learn is there are some things linux does do very well and other it sucks at. No different that MS, Netware etc...

People who are "All linux all the time" are foolish like their MS counterparts doing "All MS all the time". Each is a tool that works best for specific jobs. There is no one anwser for all questions except for the foolhearty that put their heads in the sand and repeat the montra "Linux (or MS ) is the final answer to all the problems ...."
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Thought i would bump this one back up to give some of our new members a chance to comment, could be an interesting thread.

Jason

Linux Engineer
    I first played around with linux at a friend's house when I was in high school.. I'm not sure which distro he was using at the time.. Later I bought the Red Hat 6 CDs (which I still have) and played around with that for a while on an old Cyrix 486dx2/50 with 16mb RAM (remember when that was all you needed??)... Through the years I've tried a few distros and am now quite content with Gentoo (stage 1 :P)...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

back when i was in high school prolly 10 or 11 grade i heard about linux on the internet when i was messing around trying to learn about programming i ran it to stuff about linux and wanted to try it but didnt have a machine i could run it on so i had been waiting for many years to get a machine that i could run linux on and i finally got one this past summer so about 4-5 years after i heard and read about linux. and i was quite impressed, but i mite not have been back then.

the only reason i never heard about it from a friend is all my freinds back in hs were not computer geeks so none of them had heard about it either. well thats my story

ps: i have tryed so many of the main distros out there and i have only been using linux since about may. i first started with mandrake, then moved onto redhat 9, slackware9, gentoo, suse 8.2, i started to install debian but gave up cause i didnt have to time.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Linux Newbie
    my introduction... Personal computer world the magizine (about 8 months ago). it showd a couple of screen shots of the kde desktop. i was sick of the windoze and i was quite bored at the tome so i ordered a copy of suse 8.2 ofa amazon and got it going. the i was searchng the internet for some help and i found this wonderful fourm
    Thanks v much

\"Anything bigger than my ego i want it caught and killed\"- Zaphod Beeblebrox

Multi boot:
    Win xp home, SuSE 8.2 and Slackware 9.1

I was first introduced with 'linux' by some old IDG-quickstart books that included Redhat 6. I played around with them, but I actually never got my ISDN card to work, which kinda sucked. Oh, I think my cousin installed Suse 6.4 but if that was before or after I had installed Redhat 6, I don't remeber. When I finaly got ADSL I was soo exited because now I was going to be able to use the internet, but no such luck. My mom ordered a Usb ethernet device, which didn't ofcourse work in 'linux'. I noticed a little penguin back on the case some time later, and emalied Jensen customer support but they said it was a printfault, and they didnt have any support. It went about a month, and I traded that crappy usb thingie to a PIC 3com NIC, and everything worked smoothly after that.

Linux Engineer
    First heard some people chatting about Linux on a webmaster forum about 2 years ago. Then I spotted MDK 8.2 on a mag cover. Installed it on my PC and knackered my W95 setup. Was impressed with that.

However, stuck with and after getting a few spare hds and a new PC am dual booting with XP & RH9

Why? Cos it's 'free', cos it's more secure, cos it makes me think, cos it's different, cos it's a community, cos it goes against the corporate model.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

How did I not see this post before?

I got introduced to Linux when I first got online on my 486. I wanted to be a hacker, so I heard about Linux in my research. I tried RH 6.2ish when I built my first puter in about 9th grade and went full steam about a year ago when I really got into the software side of computers (i.e.- programming).
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast