Find the answer to your Linux question:
Certain people I know, know I have a few computers here. All in a nice, tidy LAN which is then connected to the internet. None of my machines run Windows. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Rant about other people using my computer.

Certain people I know, know I have a few computers here. All in a nice, tidy LAN which is then connected to the internet. None of my machines run Windows. And that's where the trouble starts.
    I have several machines and there's no way I can use them all at the same time. So, I don't mind people dropping by to surf, help their kids with homework, print a report, etc. And, naturally, they do. In fact, I've had freinds and family bring people by that I don't know to use one of my rigs. That's stretching it a bit but, still, I don't mind all that much so long as I can be assured that nothing illegal is taking place. I mean come on, use my machines all you want, just don't put me at any kind of risk. I think I'm being more than fair. So far everybody has obeyed my rule about staying legal.
    Now comes the point where I start *****ing.
    The fact that my network is comprised 100% of Linux machines has not prevented one of these people from doing the things they want to do. They've all been able to surf the web, check web-mail(pop-mail even if they pull it to their web-mail accounts), write reports and print them and so on. And yet, not one of them have used my machines without making some snide comment about the fact that I'm making them use Linux. My sister has even gone so far as to ***** about using Linux and then ***** about the fact that I won't give her a personal account on one of my Linux machines.
    I mean, damn it folks. I'm making them use Linux? I'm being gracious enough to allow them access to my machines in the first place. I could just tell them to screw and go to the library or a cyber cafe.
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Tell them to go buttrape a cow. Thats the most fed up thing ever, you should get a stuffed penguin and make them all pet him as they enter SO THEY KNOW ITS LINUX TIME. Or make the 'potty mouth jar' if you complain about linux, you put a dollar in. If you shut you M$ indocrinated craploving pie hole, then you can use it, and if they are linux gurus, then they can hug the penguin. Us few have to lookout for eachother.
    ---
    Related story, my family was complaing that I was running linux and how that was a security problem on the network, and how they couldn't share files with me. They *****ed how it was stupid and a waste. Then I told them that it was the fileserver for our entire house....
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    never had to deal with this type of problem. my dad is unix literate so i wouldn't get that type of garbage from my immediate family. however my uncle still doesn't beleive me that you can get a professional os online for free, dumb ass. i think he uses aol too.

i would tell them to go get their own computers, or start charging them for bandwidth. bandwidth costs money ya know.

ahahah aol users... yeah, i dont think my parents can comprehend 'free' they keep expecting come hiddne charge to pop up from unsing linux, it more likly that IE would funnle something like that in. My uncle is the Sys Admin at NIH, so hes cool w/ linux, but my parents, its annoying. My sister wanted me to get rid of spyware on her computer, so after hours of scans, i installed firefox, so i wouldnt have to do that again, but she refused to use it, and stuck with IE...painful
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Newbie
    i had a computer science friend who fixed someones computer several times at my college. he kept installing the same programs, kazaa etc., and it would just take over his computer. and he would always ask for it to get fixed, but would always re-install it, now that's a dumb ass.

my dad actually uses linux as a web server with apache in his office, i think suse 9.1. he also uses sco unix as a file server. there is no changing the sco either for the time being either, since he has been using sco for as long as i am old.

Linux Newbie
    I've considered charging. My cable connection actually costs less than dial-up and a dedicated phone line so that's not an issue. However, it does take time to maintain the net. Combine my effort with the lack of appreciation I receive and it makes me wonder why I bother sharing.
    Just before I made that earlier post, I had just gone down-stairs and heard another nasty remark. I ended up running everybody off. Well, everybody that doesn't live here that is.
    You know. Four years ago, I bought a Dell OptiPlex GX1 and put Linux on it. About 6 months later, I built a different machine and gave the GX1 to my neighbors 11yo daughter(trying to impress mom). It was still running Linux and she was tickled as punch.

Linux Newbie
    hafnium,
    I'm curious. Who's the bigger fool. The one who continually installs software that breaks his computer? Or is it the one that continues repairing the computer knowing he will continue breaking it?

Linux Newbie
    good point. i made this point also to my friend. notice, i said it was not me that kept fixing his computer. i would of let it sit broken. although that's me, not him.

only the lucky ones truely learn vicariously, for the rest of us we have to do it first hand, then there are a few who just can't.

Linux Newbie
    I understood you were talking about a freind and not yourself. I just saw your post and couldn't help remembering an old quote.
    <pr>"Stupidity is the act of repeating the same behaviour over and over and expecting a different outcome."
    Hmm. Guess I need to remember that the next time someone comes to the door wanting to use one of my machines.

Quote Originally Posted by hafnium
    good point. i made this point also to my friend. notice, i said it was not me that kept fixing his computer. i would of let it sit broken. although that's me, not him.

only the lucky ones truely learn vicariously, for the rest of us we have to do it first hand, then there are a few who just can't.
    I would tell the guy that I will fix it for him and install Gentoo on it.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy