Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just joined today, and have a couple months experience with Linux. I am currently in a couple of Linux classes and hope to become a network admin when I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi I'n new.

I just joined today, and have a couple months experience with Linux. I am currently in a couple of Linux classes and hope to become a network admin when I get out of college.

Just Joined!
    Welcome I just joined today too

I'm still in High School....This school year I'm in grade 11, I'm taking Computer science grade 10, Computer Science grade 11 (because grade 10 is needed), and computer engineering grade 11.....In computer science they teach VISUAL BASIC

I was talking to the computer tech at school, they replaced the Linux server with a Windows server

Linux Newbie
    don't be too shocked. that type of stuff is typical of a high school. my high school didn't even have computer science classes nor linux computers. although, they just created a website when i left, so they might offer computer science now. but i doubt it due to lack of qualified people to teach it.

Welcome to the forums!

I participated in the last CS class at my HS (at least til I left). It was QBASIC on some old P1's. My semester was the last time it was offered (the state cut funding for that class, so the county cut the class ). It's good to hear that you're able to take CS courses in HS, though they are teaching VB.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

welcome to the forum

i guess you can say my HS didnt have any CS classes so even tho its vb be happy they are getting any kind of computer classes. for me computer classes consisted of one ****** college class that talked about the basics of computers it was so damn basic it sucked
    then the next year after i graduated they started some hardware classes and then the next they started a programming classes even tho it was vb it was still something more then i had and i was pissed well good luck
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

my comp sci class last year was, qbasic and visual basic. next year i get to learn java, c, and c++. w00t

Linux Engineer
    welcome to the forum from me too!have a nice stay here and all your linux problems solved !
    Linux For Ever!

My school has a relativly nice compsci combo, along with labs, its all M$ based, but one of the teachers is letting me hold a lunchtime "Starting in Linux" series, it was originaly gonna be like 4 geeks in a classroom installing gentoo on some old POS' that we found in storage, but the signup rate has almost hit 200. sooo yeah....... well see how that goes.... My school has c++ and java programming, 3 levels of web design (basicaly studio mx 101, year one==dreamweaver year 2==fireworks+dreamweaver year 3 ==flash dream and fire) 4 years of graphic design (adobe photoshop) theres also several courses on actual comp sci, (like circits and crud) then a network admin course. Awesome stuff..but no linux. (yes this is a public high school) Hopefuly the surprisingly large intrest will prompt the use of linux in a few classes (gimp could save BIG monies in the graphics class, throw in blender, and thats a free awesome system)
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Yeah...It's sad that public schools don't use more OSS. Your class sounds like it will be a cool thing, qub. The more people that we have educated in the language of Linux, the better the world will be.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    I believe in grade 12 we learn Java....Grade 10 and 11 we learn Visual Basic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast