Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Why help the enemy to learn their mistake? Just sit back, relax, and watch....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Why help the enemy to learn their mistake? Just sit back, relax, and watch.

Linux Engineer
    piracy will be increased..if someone contacts a pc seller to buy a new pc,what should he say to the customer?"yes,we have this os with which you can't connect to the net or set-up your home network or$#%#".so all will gonna buy copies of xp/server by pirates..or buy linux!
    Linux For Ever!

Linux Newbie
    It would be nice if you go to a PC company (i.e. dell, gateway, etc) and be able to choose the $3 version of Windows, and not have to pay them for the full version of Winbloze XP, etc. Then you can pirate XP Pro, install linux, and do all you want to at the expense of the stupidity of M$.
    If you love something, emerge it

Just Joined!
    the $3 version of Windows
    You cant update it. :P .Now virus is too cool.

Linux User
    *sighs* why don't they just get Linux installed?! it's "free", and it is sooO f***ing SUPER!!!

Registered User #345074

Linux Engineer
    don't forget linux requires some basic knowledge on computers and os's...not just click next ->next ->finish!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!
    I find two things interesting about that blurb,

(1) They are trying to combat piracy in these developing countries

(2) They are trying to combat Linux

This leads to one conclusion, I think: they already have computers. They already must be literate. If they were not, why is piracy such a problem over there? Why would people be downloading/obtaining pirated XP pro, if there was no literacy? Why would Linux need to be 'combatted', if Linux wasn't already there? Keep in mind, MS just did this deal for mostly developing Asian countries.

It just goes to show that Microsoft has absolutely no idea what Linux is all about. They can't understand. They are a business, and they make and sell a product. Linux is more about an idea, a hobby, a love. They don't understand that if every paid distro out there just fell off the planet, it wouldn't change a thing. They don't get it that if nobody in these countries installed another distro of Linux, it'd only be out new developers........it wouldn't stop the idea of it at all.

It is utterly foolish to offer a neutered system to 'combat' anything.

I dunno........just my two cents on it.

-Todd

Impact of XP starter

i think more people now move to Linux than using Dirty and limited featured XP !!

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by stathisx
    don't forget linux requires some basic knowledge on computers and os's...not just click next ->next ->finish!
    Not really. Like my old man he just needs word processor, spreadsheet, and web page browser. It doesn't matter it is office from MS or OpenOffice on Linux. Maybe someone listens to music and to watch DVD, too. Basicly these are all click->next->next->finish.

You are worrying about those people who are not so into computers. Don't worry, Linux is pretty easy to fit their needs, too.

However, the games is a big issue for some people. Wine can do part of job but that might require some knowledges to configure it.

Really when people say Windows is easier to use, they mean they have only knowledge for how to operate Windows system because they have never been taught / told about other OS. I believe if one person's first education about computer is based on Linux, he will find MS Windows gross when he first meets it, too.

me: laugthing hysterically over the link in the first post
    5 seconds later
    me: still laughting
    1 second later
    me: is really scared of XP $tarter
    1 second even more later
    me: goes back in time 2 secs, and still laughts but now also rotates on the floor in 2480x1600 resolution
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast