Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I just can't bring myself to laugh...I mean...I dislike M$ and all it's software and world-domination vision, but this is just...sad. It's sad that they actually believe that anyone in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I just can't bring myself to laugh...I mean...I dislike M$ and all it's software and world-domination vision, but this is just...sad. It's sad that they actually believe that anyone in their right mind would jump at this.

800x600? My cell phone has 800x600! (exaggeration, but not by much ) So I can't share my files on a network? Better yet...I can't share my PRINTER? Hrmm...I think I still have one of those parallel port switch boxes somewhere...

Oh...three programs? I'll not even touch on that.

Whatever M$ is trying to do with this, it sickens me...I never thought humans could be so stupid. I'm going to go hurl now.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

what they fail to relise and take into account is that, linux is a software movement, not a company, were the users have, they have a passion for it! they cant boss us around, we wont do their work for them, they will have to WORK their ASS of to combat linux, it would be impossible to get rid of linux, it will be there for YEARS to come

what you all should relise is how much help microcrap has got, loads of companies suck up to microsoft, linux, hasnt had that, and look where they are

i think the average joe would be much more likely to try linux if:

- it came in a box people would just buy and install easilly (like fedora, the installer is easy)
    - they didnt have to deal with all the 'tch' stuff, and just wanted a computer

probably most people use windows because linux isnt a company, and cant really advertise, the village idiot would buy this because of the price, and they just want a computer, they dont know any better

linux would be unstoppable if they advertised, people would see this free stuff and with a good advert, see how powerful (better than windows) it is

i see the logic microcrap are using, but it wont combat linux, if the buyers relised this they would see that microsoft are pretty much makiing them look like stupid idiots
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

Just Joined!
    The thing stopping people using linux is the poor software/hardware (ok, hardware is actually pretty good now, but most companies dont give linux drivers with their hardware, ie, my modem *grumble*).

Apparently this new windows also has limited keyboard functionality

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    lol, only spacebar, return and the windows logo key work

Just Joined!
    Don't forget ctrl alt and delete.

no they didnt add delete, they say it made it easier for people to get outa the freeze

Just Joined!
    Hello, everyone.

I read in another forum where someone called Linux a "hobbiest OS". Although I believe that to be a generalization, I believe that's correct for the average joe Linux user. I would certainly not classify the server market as 'hobbiest'. But for the large numbers of us, it truly is just a hobby.

That is why it will last, and that is also why I don't believe it will ever become mainstream enough to ever give any other OS a problem. Especially for Microsoft. I don't believe it needs to, either.

I am a musician. It comes naturally for me, and I find it easy to write music. I just do it, and I really can't NOT do it. But, it's a hobby, as is recording my music. I am perfectly content to give away my music. I am perfectly content to sit in a park with an acoustic guitar, and play my songs for free. Say there is thousands of us just like me. Are we going to give MCA a problem? Will any major record label be in jeopardy becasue we do this? No, not at all. Will our way of making music change things? Doubtful, indeed. But, we still do it, and just becasue giving away music may become popular, we really won't 'combat' a record label......and we aren't aiming at doing that. We just do what we can't NOT do.

I think it is kind of the same thing with Linux. Programming comes natural to many, and the problemsolving is a rush for them. That's why they do it, I think. It'd be nice if Microsoft would crumble to their efforts, but that is not the goal. The goal is to fix the problem, or facilitate a process.

I wish the Linux crowd would stop trying to make Linux out to be a Microsoft Killer. How many people do you know, in hardcopy life, as well as online - who have used Linux for maybe even a year or so - done much with it, and then just left it alone? It could be that they wanted that new printer/fax/scanner/coffeemaker/toaster/microwave unit at the local electronics store, and if you have windows.......plug in the USB, install the drivers, and it all just works. In linux, you could buy the same unit, and search forever finding drivers.....only to find out that all that works is the printer.

Why can't Microsoft and Linux coexist? I agree with Oxygen. Linux will be here for years to come.

-Todd

Just Joined!
    I sort of agree. I think MS and Linux have two different target audiences. Linux seems like a realy good os for the geek/programmer that enjoys a little multimedia without needing handholding. Though there are distros aimed at the desktop, they still need much work. Especially with UI.

Microsoft is aimed at people who want things to just work. Unfortunately, I think Microsoft does a realy bad job. Though initially gettting MS to run is easy as can be, keeping it running is freeking difficult even for a geek. New users don't want to be messing with regcleaners, spyware removers, virus scanners, getting rid of excess services, worrying about what to update, etc. etc. Mac OSX is probably the best for that crowd.

As for servers, I'd probably say *BSD. Keep in mind I'm a pretty new guy to unix like operating systems, I'm just going by what I've been able to observe, and a little common sence.

ANyway, I agree that they can co exist. I think Linux is more of a monopoly killer then an ms killer. It's bringing some attention to alternatives. Just like mozilla didn't kill off ie, but it realy loosend some of its controll. *insert standard cliche -IMHO *

i dont find linux realy to be trying to 'kill off' microsoft, its all the $#!7 that comes out of microsoft's mouth about linux calling it 'the cancer' when its good at what its made for!

windows is good at what it dose, but decides that it whats to be better than linux at what linux dose, but its actually just saying 'we are better than this cancer' that getting of there arses and making it possible

windows has better UI than llinux that linux is trying to get at, but its trying to make it easier rather than imatate windows, thats what microsoft dosnt understand, stupid basterds

Just Joined!
    I am as wishfull as everyone else here for Linux to overthrow windows. I think we all must admit that an operating systems sells not for its reliability or its efficiency. It sells for its name.
    Image a pair of boots. One pair is secretly used by the SAS for battles and is not advertised and the other pair is featured on MTV with famous commercial music stars wearing it and advertising it. Which one will most ignorant people choose?
    The way for linux to succeed, is to use the same fake advertising that ms use. For instance show a cracker making $$$ by hacking some secret government file, using a linux distro. For sales, that would make everyone go out and buy Linux.
    I suggest MDK stops focusing so much on networking and makes a superior home OS that can drill through win ME. I think linux developers are too friendly to MS. Make Apache web server incompatible with MS and you will have IBM and other firms crying out for Linux disks.
    I think Linux developers should not have to catch up on MS. Make MS catch up on Linux.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast