Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was just thinking last night, I use KDE (3.3) as my DM and DE and think it is great. But it occurred to me that even though I use ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

GTK apps in KDE

I was just thinking last night, I use KDE (3.3) as my DM and DE and think it is great. But it occurred to me that even though I use KDE as the DE the majority of the major applications I use are Gnome ones (GTK-2). For example:

Internet : Firefox
    e-mail : Thunderbird
    instant msg : Gaim
    Audio editing : Audacity
    CD burning : X-cd-roast
    Video : Gxine
    FTP : gFTP

So is it just me or does it seem that the majority of the ‘better quality’ Open Source apps are done in GTK instead of QT.

And if this is the case then why would this be? Is GTK more powerful? Easier to program with?

Just a bit of food for thought...
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Linux Newbie
    I run FluxBox and use a great deal of GTK apps. Pan, Mozilla, Gaim, Nautilus-burner, gFTP, etc.
    In my oppinion, QT is all about the eye-candy. GTK apps may not be as pretty but they have a simpler layout and just seem more complete.
    There is always an exception to every rule though and that begs a question. Considering that there is an outstanding QT burning program, why would anybody that prefers KDE opt to use X-cd-roast as opposed to k3b?
    OH NOOOOO!!!!!! You did it the way I said?

Until recently I did use K3b, until I tried to do a CD copy but it wouldn’t work. I downloaded and installed X-Cd-Roast and it did the job fine.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Re: GTK apps in KDE

Quote Originally Posted by zba78
    But it occurred to me that even though I use KDE as the DE the majority of the major applications I use are Gnome ones (GTK-2).
    I've been thinking along the same path myself. For a long time I tried to use GTK apps in Gnome and KDE apps in KDE. I'd switch between the two desktops every few days, and it worked.

But lately, I made the decision to just use the apps I like best.

SuSE 9.1 Pro
    KDE 3.3
    Firefox, Evolution, Gaim, Liferea, X-Chat, XMMS, gFTP, Pan, Kate, Konqueror (file manager), Konsole, VMware, Open Office, Rekall, Gimp 2, Azureus, TVTime, K3b, VideoLan...

You look at the list, and it's heavy towards GTK...