Find the answer to your Linux question:
Howdy all, First, uhh sorry about the title. It might look like i'm complaining about the site, or Linux, but i'm not. This is just a random complaint. This thread ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Random Complaints

Howdy all,

First, uhh sorry about the title. It might look like i'm complaining about the site, or Linux, but i'm not. This is just a random complaint.

This thread is just a way to vent my anger over some things. I figured if anyone else wants to post complaints about things that happened to them, this would be a fun place to organize it and see it later.

I just moved back to my apartment for my senior year of college... whoo!

So out here i order cable internet from Adelphia. I get the cable modem, hook it up through my router and try to set up my wireless connection on my laptop.

Previous years it was always a plug and go type of situation. This year, once i get my wifi configured, i try to head out to the internet. It comes up with some page by adelphia that says "setup was not complete" and i should call for technical support, blah blah. So i think maybe my nameserver isn't right (because this is a new router that i'm not used to) so i reconfigure it and i get the same page.
    Now i moved in a day before all my other roomates, and all i have is this laptop with Linux only, so i can't pop in the cd that they gave me to run through the "setup". I never ran through it before because i figured they were just some extra "tools" used to help configure stuff, which i don't need. So finally one of my roomates shows up and he hooks up his computer. I plug it in to the router and try to head out to the internet using firefox.
    Comes up with a page to fill out account information. So i start filling it out, and when i submit it kicks out an error about not using Internet Explorer..... I'm just like WTF.... and there was a lot of obscenities and flipping off of screens for the next half hour.

Ok, so i switch over to Internet Explorer, fill in the information, get all the way through to the end and it kicks out an error, with NO information. It just says "there was a problem submitting your information, please call for assistance"

I tried again.... several times.... a lot more obsceneties and middle fingers to the monitor.

So finally i break down and call the stupid number. Now all the college students are moving in, and most of them are morons so i hate calling for support on moving day. It takes forever to get through. After being on hold for 40 minutes i finally get a guy.

He tells me i have to connect the computer directly to the modem because the router's firewall is blocking the connection. Ok, so i disconnect the modem from the router, and plug the cat5 directly into the computer....
    The modem needs to be reset for some reason.... according to the guy on the phone anyway.
    And good old windows needs a reboot as well to get the new IP settings.

Ok ok ok.... so i do that, then go through all the stuff and now i'm up just fine and dandy.

Ok so let's review.
    Adelphia now requires me to "register" my internet account before i can use it.
    In order to do this, i MUST use windows.
    I also MUST use Internet Explorer.
    I can't do it through a router. (although i could place on computer on the outside of the firewall, i found this in my router settings afterward)
    In order for Windows to set IP information, I have to do a reboot.

ack... piss me the hell off...
    If i was here alone i would have been even more pissed... because i would have either had to install Windows on my laptop, or find some other way to "register".

Sprint DSL was a similar problem... i had to install some "software" and set up an account using windows, in order to connect to the internet the first time, but at that time i still had a windows partition.

When will these companies learn that not everyone uses microsoft products?

When will these companies learn that not everyone uses microsoft products?
    Never.
    These companies are example of the brainwashed masses.

I've tried to buy a computer in a store and told the reseller I was interrested but I didn't want M$ Windows pre installed or supplied with the PC.
    He told me that was impossible, how would use the computer otherwise.
    I needed Windows, as it was good for me; the brainless salesman told me.
    I responeded: I don't want it and if you don't sell it to me without it, you'll have to explain your boss why you're so stupid.
    (He never noticed that his boss was standing next to him... )
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Never.

I've tried to buy a computer in a store and told the reseller I was interrested but I didn't want M$ Windows pre installed or supplied with the PC.
    He told me that was impossible, how would use the computer otherwise.
    I needed Windows, as it was good for me; the brainless salesman told me.
    I responeded: I don't want it and if you don't sell it to me without it, you'll have to explain your boss why you're so stupid.
    (He never noticed that his boss was standing next to him... )
    A similar experience happened to someone I knew (not me personally). This particular fellow was trying to buy one of those eMachines cheap computers from Best Buy. He planned to put Linux on it, so he asked the salesman if he could buy it without MS Windows. No luck there. So, undaunted, he asked if he could buy it *without* the $400-off deal that gave you a year of MSN *gag*. The salesman asked him why he didn't want a year of MSN, and he said, "I'm not using MS Windows on this machine; I plan to put Linux on it." Here is where I wish I had a voice recorder, because the salesman actually told him, "Oh, well you can't do that. These computers won't run Linux."

After laughing in the man's face, he bought the machine anyway, *without* the free year of MSN.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    He planned to put Linux on it, so he asked the salesman if he could buy it without MS Windows. No luck there.
    I have tried this as well.
    I actually had a decent conversation with the guy about it. He ran Linux on his computer as well. He was a manager or something at Best Buy.

He said they can't do anything about it because they get them like that from the manufacturers (emachines, hp, etc.)

So i tried them. I called up HP before i bought my laptop and asked if i could get a "custom built" laptop without Windows installed.
    HP lets you "custom build" their computers by adding in parts, amount of ram, extra software, etc.
    I figured, if i could add software to my custom built machine, surely they'd let me take it away.....
    No such luck.

I think they are in a contract with MS that they are forced to put it on all machines, in exchange for a low price on the software.

I know a lot of the big companies have such a deal with Intel and their processors.

Quote Originally Posted by solman66
    So i tried them. I called up HP before i bought my laptop and asked if i could get a "custom built" laptop without Windows installed.
    HP lets you "custom build" their computers by adding in parts, amount of ram, extra software, etc.
    I figured, if i could add software to my custom built machine, surely they'd let me take it away.....
    No such luck.
    HP made some news a while back for *supposedly* offering Linux laptops, though finding them on their website is an exercise in futility. The kicker is: you still pay the Microsoft Tax. Because of HP's deals with MS, they still charge you $100 for every computer HP sells, regardless of the OS that's on it.

I think they are in a contract with MS that they are forced to put it on all machines, in exchange for a low price on the software.

I know a lot of the big companies have such a deal with Intel and their processors.
    Indeed. Most OEMs have deals with MS that allow them discounts on the OS if they buy and install them in bulk. This would just be normal business practice if it weren't for the fact that if you're a Microsoft-Blessed OEM, you *cannot* install any other OS on your machines, period. This point was brought up i the anti-trust trial.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    indeed!

goes back to a story i had here not so long ago, where someone (some sysadmin guy)said Linux is only for servers and everything else you use with Windows.

hah, crap!!!

but our country is a democracy and freedom of speech is something we have. oh well, where's the freedom if everything must come in with Windows?!!!
    Registered User #345074