Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by xylex_blaiste i got Gentoo Linux. i would love to try this distro but it needs internet for its emerge features and i got a lousy dial-up. debian ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by xylex_blaiste
    i got Gentoo Linux. i would love to try this distro but it needs internet for its emerge features and i got a lousy dial-up. debian too i'd love to try. somebody share me some Gigs of HDD space.. . hehehe.. .
    You *could* order the full set of Debian CDs and redirect apt-get to look off of those. That way you wouldn't need a connection. I personally would wait though, because the newest version "Sarge" is due out some time in the next couple of months.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Quote Originally Posted by kriss
    It recomended Gentoo to me, even though I clicked on the "my computer is old" tab.
    I think perhaps their criteria for "old" computers is to steer you toward smaller distros.. but then it is very limited in the number of recommendations. Gentoo can be as big or little as you want it to be, though, so maybe that isn't the best choice...
    Yes, but then again compiling lots of stuff takes time on old computers. That's what I think is so strange about that chooser, it gives you gentoo when you click on the old computer tab.

told me to use mandrake, atm i have fedoracore
    Graham - You'd better Use Linux!

I'm registerd Linux user #397030. What about you?

Quote Originally Posted by kriss
    Yes, but then again compiling lots of stuff takes time on old computers. That's what I think is so strange about that chooser, it gives you gentoo when you click on the old computer tab.
    Ah, yes. Lest we forget that *EVERYTHING* is compiled from source in gentoo. Yep, not the best choice for a 500mHz. It takes me days to install gentoo on a 1.3gHz machine; I can't imagine what it would take for an older box.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2