Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
My friend asked me to do some Linux articles and news analysis for his Mac website (still unsure why but I'm willing to give it a shot for a while) ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux User

hey all, was wondering if you'd check out my article...

My friend asked me to do some Linux articles and news analysis for his Mac website (still unsure why but I'm willing to give it a shot for a while) www.apple-x.net, and I was wondering if you all would give it a read and maybe post some feedback. Don't forget to send the link around, every little bit helps. It's about the current situation with X.Org and XFree and some history and stuff. Thanks all, check out the article here http://apple-x.net/modules.php?op=mo...rder=0&thold=0

Re: hey all, was wondering if you'd check out my article...

Interesting article. I've often wondered what the details of the XFree vs Xorg fiasco were. Quite informative.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    It's very informative. I find the politics behind Open Source software interesting.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    Thank you both for taking the time to read it. Embarrassingly my wording of how XFRee and the GPL clashed was a little, well misworded and partially incorrect (someone in another forum kindly pointed that out to me). I made a couple changes and I think it explains it much better now, so if anyone read it before the changes and was wondering what the deal was its fixed now. Thanks again!

Looks good. Very interesting and informative.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux User
    nice article. i never heard of XOrg before, and this dispute in XFree86. tsk,tsk.. .sad, sad.. .

lots of changes in the open-source world. it seems that it's getting too commercialized. i dread the day when Linux distros become as commercialized as M$. it seems heading that way.. . ?
    Registered User #345074

Interesting, a well written and informative article. Well done (I sound like a school teacher!!!).

So in terms of compatibility with current desktop/window managers and applications how does X.Org work. Lets say I was to install X.Org, would I still be able to run my KDE 3.3 or XFce4 or fluxbox with OpenOffice, firefox etc straight away? Or would I have to change the configuration of those WMs / DMs / apps first to make them compatible?
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Great article!
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by zba78
    Interesting, a well written and informative article. Well done (I sound like a school teacher!!!).

So in terms of compatibility with current desktop/window managers and applications how does X.Org work. Lets say I was to install X.Org, would I still be able to run my KDE 3.3 or XFce4 or fluxbox with OpenOffice, firefox etc straight away? Or would I have to change the configuration of those WMs / DMs / apps first to make them compatible?
    Yes X.Org works with everything XFree does. X.Org is just a fork off of XFree minus the newest code that was released under the new license, and some new stuff of their own. The only thing you need is a slightly different config file that includes a different keyboard driver X.Org is now using, everything else will stay the same. Also thanks for reading the article, its much appreciated

Good story of out with the old and in with the new. It does look like a fish out of water over in Macland tho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast