Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Surak yes i realise this, generally i use the term "security expert" i used to be a big player in the hacker community ( also Grey Hat ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Surak View Post
    yes i realise this, generally i use the term "security expert" i used to be a big player in the hacker community ( also Grey Hat "h(cr)ackers" do both ).
    i simply used hacker because it was a popularly known word.
    Then I simply fail to understand your question. You know that the BIG benefit of Linux the ability to use it as he or she wishes, right? And you understand that a hacker is basically the artists of the computer realm?

Hand a person crayons and paper, they can draw smiley faces and sunsets. Give someone latex paint and canvas, you may just find the next Picasso. But give them an entire workshop, or maybe even just give them a toolbelt and releast them into the world, then there is no telling what they will do. It is the same for computers. If you give them an operating system design for art, they will make art; one for word processing processes words. Conceptually Linux is the whatever-you-want-it-to-be OS. Sure, there are end-user distros everywhere that do word-processing and nifty graphics stuff, but that's not what you think when you talk of hackers, do you? Negative influences or no, you think of a person that can make his computer do flips if he wishes. Hackers are the ones that make things work. Hackers are the people who are making GSM networks as common as WiFi. Hackers are the ones that invented the personal computer. Hackers are... well, you can read for yourself if you want more.
    To be stereotypical about it, Microsoft wants everyone in a suite and tie. Mac wants everyone to wear sweaters and listen to indie rock. Linux doesn't do jack, but leaves you to do whatever you wish. That's why hackers like it so much, and honestly, could you imagine some steam-punk half-flesh, half-piercings kid running around with a fancy-schmancy Macbook or a nice and orderly WinOS?
    (lol sorry... I get wordy when I'm tired, and the sun is rising now... crap, I gotta get at least an hour of sleep)

I remember that when I started with Linux, its reputation as a hacker's system definitely put me off. Not that I was confused about the meaning of "hacker"; I worked on mainframes where the term was still used in its original meaning: a compulsive programmer. But I certainly didn't and still don't see myself as a hacker, just a practical person who doesn't really understand hardware but wishes to use a computer for certain tasks.

I chose Linux partly because I never trusted Windows on the Internet where there are so many worms, viruses and trojans. I wanted a system I could understand and trust. I certainly wasn't thinking about extensive customisation or "fixing things till they break".

Some people might say that designing my own desktop is a hack but I only started doing that sort of thing after I had been using Linux for four years. So Linux may turn people into hackers but I still think the hacker mystique is more likely to turn off potential users than attract them.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    A hacker is only someone who tinkers. The tabloids have a lot answer for for the perversion of the word
    I used to be annoyed by that too until I read some pop-psychology. Basically any group will define terms unique to themselves as a kind of boundary or identifier. Depending on how you use the word, you can identify yourself as a total outsider, a script kiddie, or someone you'd like to have around when things need doing. If you know the right words and phrases then you are one of us, if not then we know you are an interloper.

I do a martial art and all of the terminology is in Japanese for the express purpose of allowing us to be "in the group" anywhere in the world.

The pejorative hacker is probably here to stay, but personally I'm comfortable with the ambiguity. Besides, cracker just doesn't sound as cool.

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

Just Joined!
    Hi there,

It's all about (raw sockets) back then windows had no such thing,

BSD/Linux did, i think windows got raw sockets from XP but then limited them with an update.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2