Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
why has linux ( or any *nix operating system for that matter ) always been considered as the Hacker OS? okay, alot of nerds might use it because they understand ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

The "hacker OS"

why has linux ( or any *nix operating system for that matter ) always been considered as the Hacker OS? okay, alot of nerds might use it because they understand the benfits aside from that, the only benefits to a hacker is that they cant be hacked by other hackers so easily. I mean im not the most ub3r 1337 person in town ( im just 1337 ) and i manage to use linux fine.

Why is it associated with hackers?

Quote Originally Posted by Surak View Post
    why has linux ( or any *nix operating system for that matter ) always been considered as the Hacker OS? okay, alot of nerds might use it because they understand the benfits aside from that, the only benefits to a hacker is that they cant be hacked by other hackers so easily. I mean im not the most ub3r 1337 person in town ( im just 1337 ) and i manage to use linux fine.

Why is it associated with hackers?
    You're missing a very significant benefit: you can change everything about the OS. Linux is a "hacker's" OS because you can download the source code for everything including the kernel, change it, recompile it and run it however you like. For free. That's the main reason, IMO.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Also, please remember that hacker and hacked aren't considered to be bad things around here. What you're thinking of is the word "cracker".

Linux is very easily hacked (which we think is a good thing), but is not so easily cracked -- kinda the opposite of Windows

Understand?
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Hacker isn't only someone who manages to gain unauthorized privileges in a large IT System. It is also someone who tries to do things with computers in a different way than they happen. That's why you see the term "Kernel hackers".

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by L4Linux View Post
    Hacker isn't only someone who manages to gain unauthorized privileges in a large IT System. It is also someone who tries to do things with computers in a different way than they happen. That's why you see the term "Kernel hackers".
    A hacker is only someone who tinkers. The tabloids have a lot answer for for the perversion of the word
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Linux Engineer
    Like previously mentioned, Linux is a "hacker" os because you can do anything with it. Literally. You're not restricted to what vendor's allow you to do with it (such as Windows), you're only restricted to your imagination.

Yes, with enough time and effort, Linux can in fact monitor your sleep and start making coffee 10 mins before it predicts you'll wake up. Then when you do wake up, it can turn on the tv to your morning news, let the dog out to grab the paper, and load up your weather page in the browser. Damn, that would be sweet.

Just Joined!
    Yep.
    Hacker=tinkerer, "breaks things till they work", LEGAL
    Cracker=Breaks into computers, ILLEGAL

Quote Originally Posted by dandart View Post
    Yep.
    Great definitions...

Quote Originally Posted by dandart View Post
    Yep.
    yes i realise this, generally i use the term "security expert" i used to be a big player in the hacker community ( also Grey Hat "h(cr)ackers" do both ).
    i simply used hacker because it was a popularly known word.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I guess using the term suggestively in one the forums that would both know and care about the real definition would get a reaction
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast