Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Originally Posted by Tainted_Girl Windows 7 is crap. It looks like Microshaft is only releasing it to recover from the losses they have had with Vista. Are you basing this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Tainted_Girl View Post
    Windows 7 is crap. It looks like Microshaft is only releasing it to recover from the losses they have had with Vista.
    Are you basing this opinion on personal experience, or are you just trolling? Rest assured I share no more love for Microsoft than anyone else on this forum, but one thing I refuse to do is condemn a company for life merely on principle.

I happen to think Windows 7 is a good product, so far. If you've tried it and disagree, that's fine. However if you're not willing to even download it I don't see how you can call it "crap."
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    Are you basing this opinion on personal experience, or are you just trolling? Rest assured I share no more love for Microsoft than anyone else on this forum, but one thing I refuse to do is condemn a company for life merely on principle.

I happen to think Windows 7 is a good product, so far. If you've tried it and disagree, that's fine. However if you're not willing to even download it I don't see how you can call it "crap."
    Haven't tried it myself yet, but I will say this: As microsoft as microsoft is, it pays the bills in my line of work... if it were perfect I'd be out of a job, if it's too flawed it gives me a headache... here's hoping that 7 is just screwed up enough to keep the paychecks coming.

Linux Newbie
    I've read/seen reviews of the Windows 7 beta, and it seems like it's more or less what Vista should have been, if Microsoft hadn't been pressured to squeeze out a new baby. I wouldn't be afraid to install it from what I've heard about it, but, i'll before I touch it, i'm giving it some time to mature.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I certainly wont be using it at home. At work I don't have much say in the matter. The area I work in has LAMP servers, runs PHP and MySQL and is the only non MS based area in the whole company but we do work on Windows XP desktops.

I find myself wondering just how well a major and no doubt fairly expensive new operating system is going to fare in a recession.

Companies big and small will be looking to keep costs down so they are unlikely to want to upgrade, individuals probably wont upgrade after all there are more important things to spend your money on than a new Windows OS, food, rent, mortgage and bills. There is the OEM market but that too will likely suffer as people are forced to tighten their belts over the coming year.

So will MS take the tactic they tried with Vista - withdraw support for XP and maybe even Vista? In the good times that went wrong, in a recession that could be a disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Disgruntled Windows User (possibly)
    You mean I can get a modern and supported operating system for free or I can pay for Windows and not eat?
    Of course others will just stick with the status quo and keep their XP / Vista installs regardless of support, just getting more and more insecure by the week.

None of this is meant as an anti-Microsoft rant, I am just considering that this could be the first Microsoft Operating System that fails through no fault of Microsoft's even if it is as much of an improvement as early reviews claim.
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted_Girl View Post
    P.s.
    Using 713MB of RAM when idle is pretty pathetic.
    To my knowledge Microsoft moved to a more Unix-like memory management model with Vista, so I would no longer take the memory in use as 'full memory'. I imagine a lot of it is cache memory much the same as you would find in Linux.

Just Joined!
    I managed to install it on 192mb RAM + 8mb video memory in VirtualBox. Didn't try on real hardware thou.

Linux Guru
    Right I've been running it for a few hours now on my real system. It continuously bluescreend on Qemu as 64-bit and installed half-way as 32-bit before crapping out. Thankfully since I reinstalled on new large disks last week I had 45GB free. DISCLAIMER:It's a WD Raptor and is pretty fast so I don't think it's fair to rate my performance as everyday.

I think it's only right to give credit where it's due: This feels a lot better than Vista. It seems more coherent, smarter and less obtrusive. I guess this is what Vista should have been is what I'm saying. It found all of my drivers automatically except my cheap Afatech DVB adapter and my Creative webcam. In fairness, Creative don't supply a 64-bit driver anyway...

IE8 is again what IE7 should have been. While the toolbar is still hidden there are buttons providing for things like bookmarks. Also there is a cool extension area apeing Firefox's model. It even has an Adblock plugin! Amazingly though it's shareware and you have to pay for it (It's not a Microsoft product either).

I won't be switching anytime soon of course but I'm not in any rush to delete it. Of course I'm sick with myself for dual booting again after all of these years but I could do wih catching up on my Windows knowledge for work. And that copy of Half Life 2 has just been going to waste on my shelf I'm going to have one dig in here. If this is a beta release, I think there are some people on the Linux side of things that need a stern talking to about development statuses and release numbers. I have yet to see a crash, stutter, flicker or warning after half a day of genuine usage.

As a side note, for anyone running 64-bit Linux who wants to reinstall Grub after installing Windows, try to have a copy of a 64-bit livecd handy. It will make things a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    I think it's only right to give credit where it's due: This feels a lot better than Vista. It seems more coherent, smarter and less obtrusive. I guess this is what Vista should have been is what I'm saying.
    That pretty much sums up my opinion so far. I've been using it for general tasks for a few days now and it just... feels better. If I'd had this in Vista Ultimate I might not have immediately returned it. I really get the impression (as someone else mentioned) that this is what Vista would have been had Microsoft not rushed themselves the first time.

Because I'm an OS pragmatist, I'm probably always going to have at least one Windows machine (even if it's a dual-boot) for the odd game or obscure gadget. Provided nothing onerous pops up in the next few months, I may have Windows 7 on that box.

Now, don't get me wrong: I have no intention of ever paying full price for it. Twenty bucks more or less is my limit. I know people.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    I'll say this after another half-day using it. Disk-thrashing.

Everytime I work on someone else's PC I hear the disk grinding and crunching. I'm kinda nostalgiac for it at times because it reminds me of starting out. But I never hear that on my PC. Now I assumed it was because I took the time to put in rubber grommits and buy a quiet case so I just smile when I hear it. After a few hours with Windows 7 it sounds like it's taking a garden rake to my disk. And it's completely contained on that Raptor I mentioned which had never been used before and is running at a higher than normal speed.

On top of that, with 30GB+ of free space I installed Steam and Half Life 2. On first run after the usual updating Steam claimed that the data was heavily fragmented and offered to fix it for me. It claimed 40% fragmentation on the files. Surely that's not right?!

Well aside from that it's been very smooth running. I may even use one of those "Send Feedback" links on every Window's titlebar.

Linux Guru
    I wanted to post this in case some people are getting the Beta via "unofficial" means...There is an update to the Beta posted the day after the Beta was posted - details are below. Just FYI, you have been warned...

Instructions and Resources
    MP3 files
    When MP3 files are added (either manually or automatically) to either the Windows Media Player or the Windows Media Center library, or if the file metadata is edited with Windows Explorer, several seconds of audio data may be permanently removed from the start of the file. This issue occurs when files contain thumbnails or other metadata of significant size before importing or editing them. To avoid this, take the following steps:

To protect your MP3 files
    1. Before you install this Beta release, back up all MP3 files that might be accessed by the computer, including those on removable media or network shares.
    2. Install the Beta release of Windows 7; then install this update (KB961367).

If you do not want to install the update, you can avoid this issue by setting all MP3 files that might be accessed by the computer to read-only before starting either Windows Media Player or Windows Media Center or before editing MP3 metadata with Windows Explorer. To do this, in Windows Explorer, find the files, right-click them, click the General tab, and then select the Read-only check box. Once you have installed the update, you can safely reset the read/write status of your MP3 files to your preference.

You're on a "Linux" forum, so aren't you the one trolling?

I have tried Windows 7 and when you consider the price and what you're getting out of it then there is really no need to upgrade to 7.
    We are not here to blatantly bash any software simply out of spite/hatred. I would agree with Moe - this is beta software that isn't available for purchase. The final quality or price cannot be measured at this point.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast