Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
As noted above in my previous post, it's very unlikely that I will personally try the beta, but I'm still quite interested in hearing what the rest of you think ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

43 screenshots...

As noted above in my previous post, it's very unlikely that I will personally try the beta, but I'm still quite interested in hearing what the rest of you think of it.

InformationWeek has posted about 43 screenshots of the beta for anyone that wants to see them. Personally, I'm unimpressed, as it reminds me far too much of KDE4, which also took on a look for the worse (in my own opinion).

Still, I'm exceedingly happy for those that like the way it looks. Hopefully, the Windows 7 release will turn out to be "the best version ever" for anyone that is a true Windows user.
    oz

I've posted my experiences on the site. Although, I must say I think the Ars Technica article in the same vein is much more exhaustive.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    I've posted my experiences on the site. Although, I must say I think the Ars Technica article in the same vein is much more exhaustive.
    Just had a read of that Moe and you've mirrored a lot of my own sentiments.

As a side note in my last position I came across a good bit on what you've called 'fake boot'. It's actually termed 'Asynchronous boot' and can be turned off in the registry or at least could be in XP, giving you a 'Synchronous boot'. We needed to take this step as so many users were complaining about their systems being slow, where it turned out it was really only slow for 2-3 minutes with that suggestion being enough to poison their perception.

Anyhow: If you run a synchronous boot when your logon screen arrives your crunching will have stopped and any slowdowns will be your own startup applications rather that some second level services scrambling for resources. Run gpedit.msc and search for Run Logon Scripts Synchronously and enable it

Got my product key from Microsoft. I click on the download button and it just returns me back to the Product key page. No Download is starting. Using Firefox in Ubuntu 8.04, version Firefox 3.0.5. No Scripts is disabled at the moment. Don't know why download won't start. Anybody else experiancing this from Microsofts site today on MSN?
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Got my product key from Microsoft. I click on the download button and it just returns me back to the Product key page. No Download is starting. Using Firefox in Ubuntu 8.04, version Firefox 3.0.5. No Scripts is disabled at the moment. Don't know why download won't start. Anybody else experiancing this from Microsofts site today on MSN?
    The download only works in Internet Explorer by all accounts. I got tired of waiting so I went to *ahem* another source.

Get this though, those keys that you went queuing for? It's one of the five each given out for 32-bit and 64-bit. They gave up after the servers crash so if you google your key you should find the list with the rest of them on it I just kept refreshing the page until I had all of them because I didn't realise it was all cached. I thought I scored extra keys for free. Eh, free-er.

drl
    Saint Paul, MN, USA / CentOS, Debian, Slackware, {Free, Open, Net}BSD, Solaris
    Hi.

I tried Firefox and Opera on Linux, neither of which worked.

I fired up W2K, used (some version of) Internet Explorer from the same page as I did on Linux, and it worked. I think the downloader is separate from the browser.

The download server seems to be checking the browser and / or the OS. Perhaps someone knows some setting(s) that could fake it.

Good luck ... cheers, drl
    Welcome - get the most out of the forum by reading forum basics and guidelines: click here.
    90% of questions can be answered by using man pages, Quick Search, Advanced Search, Google search, Wikipedia.
    We look forward to helping you with the challenge of the other 10%.
    ( Mn, 2.6.n, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 1 GB, SATA + IDE, Matrox G400 AGP )

Thanks, Big Tom. I had to go over to the Wifeys Vista box. I never touch the durn thing if I can help it. I asked her to download for me and she said, "I'm busy, you go do it". Got back to thye download page after all the I agree warnings. Then it wanted somekind of ActiveX installed. I am not hip with Microsoft. I jumped into Linux at the beginning of my computer experiance.

Anyhows, I got Download Manager in Windows Vista open, showing 2.44 GB file downloading. About 6% right now. Does this sound about right for Windows vista download Window? I can't believe I got to ask this on a Linux forum. Let alone that I am downloading this for the wife. Not me. Love hurts.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by rokytnji View Post
    Anyhows, I got Download Manager in Windows Vista open, showing 2.44 GB file downloading. About 6% right now. Does this sound about right for Windows vista download Window? I can't believe I got to ask this on a Linux forum. Let alone that I am downloading this for the wife. Not me. Love hurts.
    Yes, the MSFT downloads use an ActiveX control which require IE/Windows.

i just finished installing it. for work i run xp so as long as it doesnt suck its a step up, no? from what i have read about vista sounds like this actually works. did think it was cute that the desktop image was of a beta fish.

ps i am running within a virtual machine on 512mb ram and although i didn't think the install would ever finish it seems moderately fast within a bubble.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    I'm going to have one dig in here. If this is a beta release, I think there are some people on the Linux side of things that need a stern talking to about development statuses and release numbers. I have yet to see a crash, stutter, flicker or warning after half a day of genuine usage.
    To be fair, Microsoft has considerably more resources for shaking out a beta release than do most open source projects. They don't need, or shouldn't have to, rely on the public to do a bug hunt for them (although, they have in the past) like some OSS projects do.

I haven't tried Windows 7 but I have heard good things from you guys here and from the system administrators at work. Our company is still running on XP and based on what I've heard, I think the Systems group is leaning towards skipping right over Vista and purchasing licenses for Windows 7 when they're ready.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast