Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
I downloaded the 64-bit Windows 7 beta yesterday and received a key this morning. The beta is good until August 1, 2009. I'm probably going to do a rant on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Windows 7 Beta

I downloaded the 64-bit Windows 7 beta yesterday and received a key this morning. The beta is good until August 1, 2009. I'm probably going to do a rant on it, minus screen shots unless I see someone else doing it. I've taken the shots, it's just a matter of whether or not to post them.

So far, after about half a day of use I'm impressed. It doesn't feel as bloated or confusing as Vista, though there are some things to get used to. It still uses 713MB of RAM when idle, but that's down from 1GB (if I remember correctly) in Vista Ultimate. I'm also not sure how much of that is actually being used, since MS is using a more UNIX-like approach to memory now.

Has anyone else been brave enough to give it a shot? If you can find a download link to the DVDs, you don't need a key for a 30-day trial. There are links all over the web.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I'm downloading it as we speak. I signed up for the Vista betas too at the time. Check this out for hilarious though:
    • Every time I refreshed the screen with the product/activation key it gave me another one
    • The links on the Microsoft site would work for the download, on either 64-bit or 32-bit. So with my official keys I opted for an alternative source

Also the site asked me if I wanted to install Silverlight. No thanks! I have enough third party proprietary runtimes installed in my browser thank-you-very-much.

I'll get an install done tomorrow and share any thoughts I have. Just from the screenshots it looks like KDE3 and Vista had a baby. Maybe this is what KDE4 would have looked like without Plasma....

I have no intentions of trying it, it is a MS product after all, and I just flat out refuse to use MS products anymore. I don't mean to rant about them or anything, that's just how I feel about it. I am proud to say that I haven't used MS windows since Windows 2000, well aside from repairing various machines for Wife/Sister/Buddies. My wife on the other hand, who thinks a machine is retarded without Windows doesn't want to download it either.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeTbob View Post
    well aside from repairing various machines for Wife/Sister/Buddies.
    As I was downloading it I was fixing up a Vista install. I won't ever use it myself as such but I do want to get my head around it before it arrives and people are asking me to sort it out for them. Man I don't know why people say geeks don't have friends. I'm thinking of dropping some just to lighten my workload haha

Linux Guru
    I have access via MSDN and pulled the ISO earlier this week. I'm sure I will install it soon for testing/review.

Windows isn't going away anytime soon, and based on the initial reviews, this may be the version that ENT environments choose to migrate to.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    I do want to get my head around it before it arrives and people are asking me to sort it out for them.
    That's my counter argument when asked to fix future machines for said Wife/Sister/Buddies........I don't know how to fix Windows 7 (yet)!
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

oz
    forum.guy
    If it can be burned to disk and run as a liveDVD like with Linux, I'll probably try it... otherwise it's not very likely to happen.

Anxious to see what the rest of you think of it, though.
    oz

Windows 7 is crap. It looks like Microshaft is only releasing it to recover from the losses they have had with Vista.

P.s.
    Using 713MB of RAM when idle is pretty pathetic.

Just Joined!
    I don't think I will ever try it. Everytime there is a beta for anything I always get phone calls for people wanting help with it since I work in a call center. But I do agree that I am curious about what the rest of you think of it...please, keep the rest of us informed!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast