Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm sure most of you guys have some strong kung-fu when it comes to sed, awk and grep. And I'm even more sure you guys have used this strong kung-fu ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thumbs up GPRename is awesome!

I'm sure most of you guys have some strong kung-fu when it comes to sed, awk and grep. And I'm even more sure you guys have used this strong kung-fu when renaming files and come out with some nice and tidy directories.

But I'm just as sure that at least once any of you doing this have killed some perfectly good files or wrote one over another! Well I just found the magic for that in my distro's repos. It's a grand little tool called GPRename. It uses the best of the tools we all love and know but gives a simple and straight forward interface to work with. It uses fixed-width fonts like your terminal so you can make good comparisons as you go.

Best of all - it has a preview and an undo function. So rather than worrying yourself sick with a for loop full of piped awk and sed commands you can preview how your files will be renamed and even if you change your mind or manage to make a mistake (against all odds) you can still put it back. There are also tools for inputting strings/numbers at static points, case shifting, automatically numbering and best of all REGEXP. And although I'm quite new to REGEXP myself, it's unbelievably versatile and particularly so in this context.

I'm putting this app on my most valuable list. I cleaned up 4 years of files last night (~3000) in under an hour, and those names were pretty messed up. It's ridiculous. Anyone looking at my home directory would think I have OCD

GPRename

Supar Find!!! THANKS!

Thumbs up

Yes. GPRename is one of the must-have applications for all the distros. I'm using it since 2 years, and I did recommend it at LinuxForums download. It rocks. KRenamer is just a kid's toy comparing with GPRename.
    If you need a CD/DVD catalogizer, give a try to my program:
    http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show...content=100682
    Linux Usert#430188

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    regex is not fully supported in GPrename. One can use regex only in search string but not in replace.

Closed, at is an old thread
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.