Find the answer to your Linux question:
I was having a discussion with one of my good friends (both of us are CS Majors) the other day while reading Ballmer's most recent interview and the /. thread ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

What do most open source developers do for food?

I was having a discussion with one of my good friends (both of us are CS Majors) the other day while reading Ballmer's most recent interview and the /. thread (lol). While defending open source and trying to convert the M$ flunkie, he brought up an interesting point: If you program for an open source project, how do you eat? I didn't really know, so I figured I'd ask around...what do all you open source developers do for a paying job?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

flw
    Linux Engineer
    Depends.

Some do it because they like to program for fun.

Some do it for the challenge.

Some are professional IT types that can finally do what they want to.

Some are hobbyists that are good enough to create decent software for their hobby.

Some do it as thier way of spitting in the faces of large corporations making money at others expense.

There are as many reasons and things they do for a living as there are people that do it.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

I wasn't really looking for the reasons that OSS devs. program OSS shite, but rather what they DO get paid to do. I mean...theoretically if you believe in Open Source, then you don't expect to be able to program and get paid for it.

Just Joined!
    why ever not?
    open source doesn't not neccessarly mean free.

some open software (like a firewall distro of linux that my friend at a computer security company is making) is made by compaines that do something else primarily. for example, a secuiryt company in my city called ECSC (which my friend works for) has made a free linux firewall distrobution. they do not get money for the work directly, but they can use it in their work when they are setting up secure networks for comapnies (which they do regularly) and save money using a comercial firewall whcih they do not COMPLETELEY understand.

there is of course the reasons which flw has allready stated. some people do it for a hobbie etc. I know I will once ive learn enough. I'm allready thinking towards working on my own slackware based linux distribution for old laptops (support for external cd drives, a small low res gui etc). I spent such a long time configureing my own system on my old laptop, with so much hasstle, i'd liek to make a pre built OS that i can use for it, and that other people can use. I have an amzingly compulsive desire to learn, which is another reason I think people make free open source software.

Yeah...I had thought of customizing software to fit specific needs of a company that your company is doing something for, but I hadn't thought of a completly custom OS. I personally believe in the mantra from Antitrust that knowledge belongs to the people...that we should all have the ability to look at whatever part of whatever software we run. I want to contribute to the OSS community as soon as I can do some real coding just because I would feel left out by not contributing (And I despise M$ and their monopoly and ****** software).