Find the answer to your Linux question:
I certainly believe that old gear shouldn't be thrown away. So when a client of mine wanted to dump a Presario 4505 desktop (PI 166MHz, 16MB on-board RAM, 2.1 GB ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Talking Bring old gear back to life with DSL

I certainly believe that old gear shouldn't be thrown away. So when a client of mine wanted to dump a Presario 4505 desktop (PI 166MHz, 16MB on-board RAM, 2.1 GB HD) on me free-of-charge, I decided to see if I could use it as a small web/email server.

This is my first post here, and while not a total linux n00b (I used Solaris UNIX in college and have had Mint on my laptop for 6 mos and have used Puppy Live CD for a year for disaster recovery in my tech business), I don't consider myself a fluent Linux user by any means. However, the live CD distro Damn Small Linux (DSL) 4.4 made this project a (relative) breeze. Perhaps my experience can help you...

I was able to boot the DSL Live CD, but it dogged a bit. After maxing out the RAM with 32MB PC66 for $7 on eBay, I tried again, and this time there was much better performance, but a slow startup and apps started slowly. It detected a random old ethernet card I threw in it and I was surfing immediately. I decided that a hard drive install would do me some good so I set off...

DSL doesn't come packaged with GParted (which I like), so I booted Puppy 4.12 Live CD and dealt with the HORRENDOUS lag in order to partition a swap space on this old WIN95 machine (I tried to use SystemRescueCD 1.0, but this Old Bird wouldn't load it). Since I only have 48MB RAM, I chose to have 128MB swap space to ease the use of larger apps.

Partitions in hand, I rebooted DSL and using the handy right-click fluxbox menu, chose a hard drive install. After a few short scripts, DSL indicated it had installed and ended, without offering to configure a grub or lilo bootloader. Needless to say, attempts to boot the machine without the live CD were unsuccessful. Another attempt using the DSL menu hard drive install also failed.

After a little research (ie. RTFM) I found that typing 'install' at the DSL live CD boot prompt began a non-GUI installation script. I was asked only which partition I was to install to, and DSL auto configured my swap space and after some quick choices (lilo or grub, single vs multi-user), I had a fully functional desktop capable of surfing, email, word processing/spreadsheets, and music. (note: In my research, I also read that some users had problems as DSL didn't allow installation to sda1, but I had no problem at all using sda1 as my target.)

[The only deficiency I see is that when dillo or firefox is in the foreground, my graphics revert to 256 colors. Mayhap my 1MB of on-board video just isn't enough? Perhaps $15 on eBay for an 8MB graphics card is in the cards...]

I plugged in an external USB hard drive enclosure housing a 130GB drive. DSL recognized it perfectly, and now I have space to host my own website with 100+GB of email storage. I'm off to install XAMPP and I will have a server with only a 75 watt power supply.

Not bad for a system with more ISA ports than PCI, and for $7-$22 invested?!? All I can say is - Thankx Damn Small Linux!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deBebbler; 01-18-2009 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Clarity

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

Glad that worked out well for you.

For anyone that might be interested, here's a poll with additional distros that often work well on older computer hardware:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...re-2009-a.html
    oz

At my school is a server (now Ubuntu 8.10) which had to be replaced because Windows 2003 Server didn't support the RAID, some of you have seen my post, but I found out through google after 24hours of research(interrupted) that when I went for the alternate CD, it would work with Ubuntu (8.04/8.10, only had the 8.10 version available at that time, not going for reinstall to 8.04, is a bit useless I think. I'll wait for 9.10 as LTS).

What took the IT guys weeks to get Windows running without proper use of the RAID, I got working in under 2 days(24 hours of research, 70 mins of actually installing and 3 hours of configuring). That server is like a jet engine and behind it was a pile of dust, and well, behind that a trainee. That was while I booted the server for the first time in a couple of years(can you imagine what happened?).

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Did you put it on You Tube?
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

No, the trainee had just vacuum cleaned, so I thought he would have had that spot, but unfortunately for him, he missed it. Now he won't forget that spot again. (I'm 6 yrs old by the way, playing privileged to be there every once in a while).

Soon

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    Did you put it on You Tube?
    Have bigger fish to fry right now, but it is in the queue. . . and I will probably have to get that video card.
    Last edited by deBebbler; 01-23-2009 at 12:19 AM. Reason: accuracy

Just Joined!
    Using old computers is near and dear to my heart also. I run my internal web server on a p2-450. I also like ltsp and drbl/clonezilla for using p1/2 computers as diskless thin clients. Our ltsp server is a 800mhz amd Duron. I will admit my internet desktop is an amd 1.5 athlon. I wanted a bit more speed there. My main laptop is a p1-166 running debian. I have not bought a brand new computer in probably close to five to ten years. I did just buy a used turion64 laptop for the better half though. I had some old new world g3's running linux, but I gave those away. I just wanted to support only one architecture and the better half wanted me to have fewer toys. You could get p3 boxes for free before the slump.