Find the answer to your Linux question:
I decided to give unetbootin a try at installing kubuntu 8.10 using an iso image (alternate CD image) I had already downloaded. Because the PC I was using does not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

[SOLVED] Using unetbootin to install to hard drive

I decided to give unetbootin a try at installing kubuntu 8.10 using an iso image (alternate CD image) I had already downloaded. Because the PC I was using does not support boot from USB device I thought I would give the boot from hard drive option a try.

Here is the process I followed:-
    1. install unetbootin through yaourt (Arch Linux).
    2. copy iso image to a separate partition on the first hard drive (contains Arch + partition for installing kubuntu to).
    3. run unetbootin and choose select iso image option, point to iso on partition, select to hard drive and install.
    4. when prompted reboot and use install option to install kubunutu.
    5. reboot after install and run unetbootin to remove install option from grub menu.

I wanted to use the iso image to install from, at least install the base system - using the install option from the menu does not let you do that. OK - so I try the text based expert option, get asked a few more questions than I expected, but did get to search hard drives for an ISO. After mounting the iso I got to the partitioner section ... which no longer showed the drive I had mounted the iso on . I think this is something to do with having the iso mounted, so I abort the install process and cp the iso to a partition on the other hard drive in the system. I restart the text based expert option, search for iso (finds the iso on the drive I want to install on - so I tell the system to ignore this) finds the second iso (on the other hard drive) so I select this, but when partitioner starts no hard drives are displayed . So I abort the process again and wipe the iso image off the first hard drive. New time I ran the text based expert install option I managed to mount the iso and install to the hard drive partition I wanted to .

The thing is, now I have the install files sat on my Arch Linux root partition. I have not spotted a way to easily identify these files (although a couple of the folders - like isolinux and installer are a bit of a give away). I havn't spotted a log file to get a list of whats installed and I don't want to fresh install Arch.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a log file or some other information which will let me remove the files easily ... they don't stop the system from working - it just does not feel right leaving things there. If it were only going to be there for a couple of months until the next release I would probably leave it ... but since Arch has rolling updates I'm hoping not to have to reinstall for a while ...

For future use I'll keep in mind ...
    1. the install via hard drive writes files to the root of the distro you use to install from (with no easy way to remove).
    2. you can't mount an iso image on the same drive you want to install to.
    3. you can't leave copies of the iso you want to mount on the drive you want to install to.

A bit more information

I played with find and stat for a bit but did not get the results I wanted ... so ended up using krusader

When unetbootin is run for a particular iso (assuming installed to hard drive selected) ...

Files from the iso image are copied to root - for the kubuntu alternate CD

cdromupgrade, md5sum, README, ubuntu are put in /

folders are also created in /
    .disk, dists, doc, install, isolinux, pics, pool, preseed

A couple of files are also created in /boot & /boot/grub

After you install the new distro and then rerun unetbootin:-

all files are removed from /
    the additional files in /boot & /boot/grub are removed
    the other folders created in / are left on the system
    but .disk, isolinux, pics, preseed are emptied.

I'm not sure what the logic is behind emptying some folders but leaving them on the system but not emptying other folders

I guess if folder names on the iso matched Linux folders there is a fair chance the existing install would be clobbered