Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
The Register ( http://theregister.co.uk ) reported in this article that new methods of storing data on optical discs have been invented and should be perfected in labs in about 5 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

DVD's could hold ~250GB in 5+ years

The Register (http://theregister.co.uk) reported in this article that new methods of storing data on optical discs have been invented and should be perfected in labs in about 5 years, after which it will be marketed....
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Just Joined!
    In 5 years it will maybe be market ready. But it all depends on abit of luck and funding. But ye it makes the standard DVD and the Blu Ray discs look something old. Before this comes out we might get even better laser/disc technology which will come 5 years later making the 250GB discs look like a joke

Linux Guru
    My prediction??

5 years from now computers will run solely off of a "flash" type media. They already have 6Gb cards. It's only a matter of time before they completely replace harddrives all togther.

Computers will be like a big ol' Palm Pilot, just hit the power buton and they're on.

Of course, I could be wrong
    Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    My prediction??

5 years from now computers will run solely off of a "flash" type media. They already have 6Gb cards. It's only a matter of time before they completely replace harddrives all togther.
    A computer engineer I work with would agree with you. He's made that same prediction. Flash for everything, instant-on computers, the whole nine yards. Could be interesting.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    We'll see. If my predictions come true, I may just have to quit my job, become a barefooted gypsy, join a hippie commune and sell my powers of prediction (along with grilled cheese)

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy1701
    We'll see. If my predictions come true, I may just have to quit my job, become a barefooted gypsy, join a hippie commune and sell my powers of prediction (along with grilled cheese)

Jeremy
    You'd have to pay me royalties, though...I invented grilled cheese.

But OT...250G optical media in 5 years will be nice, as that's when everything broadcast (in the US, at least) is supposed to be digital/HD. I also tend to agree that 5 years from now, they will be talking about 1T optical storage 5 years from then (being 10 years from now). It's good to see implementation of the tech already, though.

As far as Flash computing...I can't wait.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Have you seen how slow the IO of flash cards are its about 3Mbs where a single 7200 PATA drive will give you 50/60Mbs so untill they get a bit quicker we will just have to wait.

Fscking Hippies....lol
    Maybe by the time i die, there will be 1Yb optical storage
    (=one yottabyte ~= 10^24bytes ~= 1 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 bytes)

Just Joined!
    I for one hail our optical storage overlords....

All that storage space! Now, what shall I fill the space with....*fires up aMule*...

On a more serious note, wouldn't it be possible to keep an entire OS on a 250 GB DVD? I mean, that's more than I have on my poor old machine right now - I don't see why I couldn't cobble together my own Live CD with all my files, settings, documents, etc and carry it around with me wherever I go. Who needs their own computer? I guess you can do much the same these days with live cds and a USB key say, but why not put the two on the same media? Is that even possible?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetsuo
    I for one hail our optical storage overlords....

All that storage space! Now, what shall I fill the space with....*fires up aMule*...

On a more serious note, wouldn't it be possible to keep an entire OS on a 250 GB DVD? I mean, that's more than I have on my poor old machine right now - I don't see why I couldn't cobble together my own Live CD with all my files, settings, documents, etc and carry it around with me wherever I go. Who needs their own computer? I guess you can do much the same these days with live cds and a USB key say, but why not put the two on the same media? Is that even possible?
    The DVD's with 4.7 gb are more than some computers lol... my old pmmx 166 has a 4gb hd... so i could burn the whole hd onto a dvd... if only it had a dvd burner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast