Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Originally Posted by jmadero everyone see that Oracle's stocks tanked today? Seems like the share holders aren't too happy about the purchase Edit: I take that back, looks like they ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    everyone see that Oracle's stocks tanked today? Seems like the share holders aren't too happy about the purchase

Edit: I take that back, looks like they rebounded in the last half hour
    I see the stock market as an internationalized system of gambling. Nothing more. If some CEO farts the wrong direction his stock price can tank, if some self-proclaimed "market analyst" decides he needs some attention he can write a fluff piece and the stock soars. It's not based on reality; just the perception of reality by a bunch of rich, hyperactive nutjobs. But ask me one day and I'll tell you how I really feel.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

lol fair enough. I am an economics major and....I can't deny that much of the system is based off of human emotions...which are hard to describe to say the least But I suppose the new keywords for the age are "hope" and "change", that's how it goes, pretty words and CEO farts
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

I'd like to say it's based on supply and demand, but it seems to be more based on supply, demand and panic

there is no rhyme or reason to how the stock market operates, i would add though that a drop in the price of a company is very typical after an acquisition

Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    ...that's how it goes, pretty words and CEO farts
    That should be a book title: The Stock Market: Pretty Words and CEO Farts.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    I'd like to say it's based on supply and demand, but it seems to be more based on supply, demand and panic
    I'm a firm believer in the concept of the Stock Market Idiot Switch.

Some money man wants some more money so he flips the idiot switch to sell. The idiots sell and the price goes down. Our money man buys.

He flips the idiot switch to buy and the idiots buy driving the price up. Our money man sells and makes his money.

I have seen nothing to convince me that this isn't exactly how the stock market works
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

The three of us would definitely come up with some funny material for a book with the title techeMoe put out, hhaha, Way off topic but that's what the forums are for right? Anyways, I've been keeping up with the Sun buyout, so far, I'm not too happy about it
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I'm a firm believer in the concept of the Stock Market Idiot Switch.

Some money man wants some more money so he flips the idiot switch to sell. The idiots sell and the price goes down. Our money man buys.

He flips the idiot switch to buy and the idiots buy driving the price up. Our money man sells and makes his money.

I have seen nothing to convince me that this isn't exactly how the stock market works
    That's exactly how it works. I work for a financial institute that issues shares to employees on an annual basis. It amazes me how I still see people getting excited and buying shares when they go up in price and freaking out and selling when they drop off. I actually heard people say that shares "weren't worth keeping because their price was so low". Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    That's exactly how it works. I work for a financial institute that issues shares to employees on an annual basis. It amazes me how I still see people getting excited and buying shares when they go up in price and freaking out and selling when they drop off. I actually heard people say that shares "weren't worth keeping because their price was so low". Duh.
    Buy high, sell low? Hmm... methinks these people invest in Bizarro World.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    I hope there is no drastic change. My only thought when i hear the word "oracle" is, I used to live 50 yards from Ventura harbor mouth, and I would watch " oracle" get towed out and sail into windy lane, training for the america cup race.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast