Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 26
Originally Posted by jmadero everyone see that Oracle's stocks tanked today? Seems like the share holders aren't too happy about the purchase Edit: I take that back, looks like they ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #11
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496

    Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    everyone see that Oracle's stocks tanked today? Seems like the share holders aren't too happy about the purchase

    Edit: I take that back, looks like they rebounded in the last half hour
    I see the stock market as an internationalized system of gambling. Nothing more. If some CEO farts the wrong direction his stock price can tank, if some self-proclaimed "market analyst" decides he needs some attention he can write a fluff piece and the stock soars. It's not based on reality; just the perception of reality by a bunch of rich, hyperactive nutjobs. But ask me one day and I'll tell you how I really feel.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  2. #12
    Linux Guru jmadero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,998
    lol fair enough. I am an economics major and....I can't deny that much of the system is based off of human emotions...which are hard to describe to say the least But I suppose the new keywords for the age are "hope" and "change", that's how it goes, pretty words and CEO farts
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

    "The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

  3. #13
    Linux Guru bigtomrodney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,132
    I'd like to say it's based on supply and demand, but it seems to be more based on supply, demand and panic

  4. #14
    Linux Guru coopstah13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    NH, USA
    Posts
    3,149
    there is no rhyme or reason to how the stock market operates, i would add though that a drop in the price of a company is very typical after an acquisition

  5. #15
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    ...that's how it goes, pretty words and CEO farts
    That should be a book title: The Stock Market: Pretty Words and CEO Farts.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  6. #16
    Penguin of trust elija's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Posts
    3,483
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    I'd like to say it's based on supply and demand, but it seems to be more based on supply, demand and panic
    I'm a firm believer in the concept of the Stock Market Idiot Switch.

    Some money man wants some more money so he flips the idiot switch to sell. The idiots sell and the price goes down. Our money man buys.

    He flips the idiot switch to buy and the idiots buy driving the price up. Our money man sells and makes his money.

    I have seen nothing to convince me that this isn't exactly how the stock market works
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

    When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?


    Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

  7. #17
    Linux Guru jmadero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,998
    The three of us would definitely come up with some funny material for a book with the title techeMoe put out, hhaha, Way off topic but that's what the forums are for right? Anyways, I've been keeping up with the Sun buyout, so far, I'm not too happy about it
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

    "The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

  8. #18
    Linux Guru bigtomrodney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    6,132
    Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I'm a firm believer in the concept of the Stock Market Idiot Switch.

    Some money man wants some more money so he flips the idiot switch to sell. The idiots sell and the price goes down. Our money man buys.

    He flips the idiot switch to buy and the idiots buy driving the price up. Our money man sells and makes his money.

    I have seen nothing to convince me that this isn't exactly how the stock market works
    That's exactly how it works. I work for a financial institute that issues shares to employees on an annual basis. It amazes me how I still see people getting excited and buying shares when they go up in price and freaking out and selling when they drop off. I actually heard people say that shares "weren't worth keeping because their price was so low". Duh.

  9. #19
    Linux Guru techieMoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,496
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney View Post
    That's exactly how it works. I work for a financial institute that issues shares to employees on an annual basis. It amazes me how I still see people getting excited and buying shares when they go up in price and freaking out and selling when they drop off. I actually heard people say that shares "weren't worth keeping because their price was so low". Duh.
    Buy high, sell low? Hmm... methinks these people invest in Bizarro World.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

  10. #20
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    230
    I hope there is no drastic change. My only thought when i hear the word "oracle" is, I used to live 50 yards from Ventura harbor mouth, and I would watch " oracle" get towed out and sail into windy lane, training for the america cup race.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •