Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
New article on Ars Technica today: The setting Sun: responses to the acquisition - Ars Technica...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

New article on Ars Technica today:

The setting Sun: responses to the acquisition - Ars Technica
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Technology from Sun that materially helps Oracle in the P&L dept:
    1. ZFS - support for Oracle's VLDB technology in major data mining applications.
    2. Sun hardware (systems and storage) - can you spell plug-in database appliance? Get it with the OS of your choice!
    3. VirtualBox - virtualized db servers on applicance systems == easy install + setup enterprise systems.

I think the rest of it is good for Oracle's public persona, all the FOSS stuff like Java, Linux, OOo, et al. Bottom line, is that this is going to be a major boost to Oracle's bottom line... Just my opinion, which with about $3.50 USD will get me a nice double cappuccino at the local coffee shop.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Well for the most part very promising....seeing where MySQL goes is going to be important for the community as it is the core of so many projects. As for OOo....I didn't know there was a debate about if it should be independent from Sun...anyone know why? I've never seen them hampering open source and they've always seemed to innovate fairly fast (with everything but their GUI at least). So whats the problem?
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    As for OOo....I didn't know there was a debate about if it should be independent from Sun...anyone know why? I've never seen them hampering open source and they've always seemed to innovate fairly fast (with everything but their GUI at least). So whats the problem?
    I admit I'm not up on the controversy with this either, but if I were to guess it's probably just a case of the project wanting to be unencumbered by the needs/wants of the business entity (Sun), not unlike the Fedora project breaking off from Redhat proper.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Re. OOo. My best guess is that Oracle will spin OOo off to the community entirely. I really can't see that "owning" it brings them any material benefit, and if there's one thing I know about Oracle is that they are nothing if not materially oriented. Making it independent would probably provide them with a major tax writeoff.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    Making it independent would probably provide them with a major tax writeoff.
    And a whole load of community good will
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3