Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi All, This was just released this morning. It claims that Open Source is going to be hurt if Sun is bought out by Oracle. I had thought that when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Oracle buying Sun....hurts Open Source?

Hi All,

This was just released this morning. It claims that Open Source is going to be hurt if Sun is bought out by Oracle. I had thought that when HP was trying to acquire them it would tremendously help open source...is the community really going to be hit hard if Sun is bought by Oracle?

Hooray! Oracle acquisition of Sun makes perfect sense | Dana Gardner’s BriefingsDirect | ZDNet.com
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Being a Java programmer, and adding that Sun has already GPL-released 99% of Java to the world, I don't think a Sun-Oracle merger will affect *my* OSS development. Even if (and this is a big IF) Oracle has a more closed-door policy with their newly acquired code, they can't revoke what's already been done. But that's just in my little corner of the world. The author seems to believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that Oracle will acquire Sun and suddenly say, "No more open-source!" I just don't see that happening.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

yeah that's how I feel, but I just read that it's official, Oracle has bought Sun Systems

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I hope this doesn't mean MySQL goes away. I really like MySQL as a simple, easy-to-use database.

I also worry about the injection of some agenda into the development of Java. I really like the way Sun guided the evolution of Java by adding stuff like Generics (however clumsy they may be) but I wonder if Oracle has some ulterior motive involved considering the tight coupling between their DBMS and the JVM.

I'm just hoping that some of the comments made on the link don't prove to be true. A partnership between IBM and MS would be HORRIBLE, and I'm really iffy about the merger between Oracle and Sun, but I'm not going to say it's hurting OSS quite yet.

As far as cloud computing....how have companies like MS gotten away with being called "innovative" when this has been part of open source for years? Aren't they about half a decade (or more) behind the times?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, it will be interesting to see what happens with some of Sun's recent aquisitions, such as MySQL. However, since MySQL is currently under the GPL, even if Oracle wanted to they cannot restrict at least the current version from community involvement.

As for Java, it could well get a nice boost from Oracle, who is almost as committed to it as IBM seems to be. IBM and Oracle compete most directly in the database domain (Oracle vs DB2), so aquiring MySQL as well as having their own RHEL-based Linux OS gives them some competitive leverage. They will likely agressively sell support for MySQL and Java, which is a major profit center for the company. It's kind of like insurance - everyone needs to have it, but not all the time...
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Quote Originally Posted by jmadero View Post
    I'm just hoping that some of the comments made on the link don't prove to be true. A partnership between IBM and MS would be HORRIBLE...
    There's a lot of bad blood between Big Blue and Microsoft that goes back to the beginning of the personal computer. I'm not sure any amount of money could heal those wounds.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

well it just seems like they follow two completely opposite philosophies, one is (some might argue against this) "friendly" to open source and OSS innovation, seemingly buying completely into the idea that open source means better, safer, faster products while the other....sues people who make no profit and steals openly from OSS then takes credit for it.....so I guess I am also highly skeptical that a partnership could ever develop

i doubt oracle will be putting much into sun's jdk, since they own bea systems they will most likely keep all their support and development in that

everyone see that Oracle's stocks tanked today? Seems like the share holders aren't too happy about the purchase

Edit: I take that back, looks like they rebounded in the last half hour

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast