Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
One of the consequences of my living where I do is that often times I feel sort of overloaded by technology. I work 8 hours a day on a computer, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

How do you unplug?

One of the consequences of my living where I do is that often times I feel sort of overloaded by technology. I work 8 hours a day on a computer, come home and watch a couple of hours of television, and occasionally play video games. Eventually I just get to the point where I want to enjoy doing something that doesn't require electricity or batteries.

In college the urge to "unplug" was largely pragmatic. You can only code so much C or play so many video games before your hands start to hurt from the repetitive stress. At those points I started reading very thick fantasy novels. I'd get up, leave my dorm and hang out at the library or a park with a good book.

Now I still read regularly (though my chosen genre changes with the wind) and once a week I meet up with my little brother to play card games. Sometimes my wife and I take the dog out for a long walk or decide to walk to the mailbox for our complex rather than drive. Aside from the necessary light, these activities don't require much technology or electricity. It's a welcome break for me, and it helps me to reconnect with reality. What do you do to unplug?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I get out of doors and prod around in the garden, weeding, cutting the lawn. basic stuff but it helps recharge the old batteries
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

The Fifth Continent

I build furniture and stuff in my garage and I fly model airplanes i build. its easy to disconnect for me. Though lately I have been intrigued by putting a web cam in my wood shop so people can see me build crap.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

What kind of stuff have you been reading lately, Moe? I've considered starting a "Read Any Good Books Lately?" thread before like the "Seen Any Good Movies Lately?" thread but wasn't sure if we had any big readers here. It could also possibly diverge into some inappropriate political discussion with the mention of certain non-fiction titles but I'm always looking for good books to read.

As for the subject at hand, I fly-fish and play the occasional round of golf. I also purchased a new bicycle last winter and have been slowly breaking it in on the bike trails in my neighborhood. Now that the weather is starting to get nice again, I'm looking forward to spending more time out there. I'm amazed at how much the technology of bicycles has progressed in the last 15 years. The physical effort required to propel yourself on a bicycle is nowhere near what it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrillhouse View Post
    What kind of stuff have you been reading lately, Moe? I've considered starting a "Read Any Good Books Lately?" thread before like the "Seen Any Good Movies Lately?" thread but wasn't sure if we had any big readers here. It could also possibly diverge into some inappropriate political discussion with the mention of certain non-fiction titles but I'm always looking for good books to read.
    Lately my guilty pleasures have been the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton. They can get kind of seedy, but I'm fascinated by the world she's created where vampires, werewolves, zombies, and all kinds of ghoulies are not only real, but in some cases have legal status and protections under the law.

I've also been picking up on a few Michael Crichton books I missed from his later years. Some can get sort of political and preachy, so I won't get into that, but his ones that are pure science are classic.

When I'm feeling particularly nerdy, I like to pick up novels from the Star Trek universe. The used bookstore near me sells them in bags 5 for $2.00. It's incredibly cheap entertainment.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I had never read starship troopers till i needed a book for the airplane a few months ago so i got the book and enjoyed reading it.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Unplugging for me is a good cruise
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

I never unplug if I can help it. I am very much an addict. I even have anxiety when I am away from a computer for too long.

Yes, I know it is not a good thing

Adrift in an ever-expanding universe, quietly contemplating the wondrous and the inevitable.
    Now here's a useful thread. Think I'll bookmark it for future reference.

When it's an option, I always try to get away from the maddening crowd as part of my unplugging ritual. I don't need total isolation, just a serene and tranquil absence of noise and drama. Being out in nature is a big plus. If I can't get out into natural surroundings, the next best thing is a good book. I'm big on astronomy, but if nothing in that genre tickles my fancy, a good fiction or a well-written biography on someone who interests me will do the trick. For a period in my life I lived up in the land of ice and snow. Nothing will make you feel unplugged like having to trudge through 4 or 5 feet of snow to get to your mailbox. It quickly makes you want to plug back in.

If I really want to treat myself, I'll go buy some time with a massage therapist or an acupuncturist, or both. Then I make sure I have a designated driver to take my relaxed a** back home.

qv

Quote Originally Posted by elija View Post
    I get out of doors and prod around in the garden, weeding, cutting the lawn. basic stuff but it helps recharge the old batteries
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosponti View Post
    I build furniture and stuff in my garage and I fly model airplanes i build. its easy to disconnect for me. Though lately I have been intrigued by putting a web cam in my wood shop so people can see me build crap.

Me TOO! I just got done building a garden bench for my wife, using nothing but an old fence that I "found in a trash pile". And yep, we have a garden too, this year we're only planting Flowers and no veggies, the veggies come next year. I'd love to get a nice model airplane or helicopter, we have a park nearby that has a runway and other stuff just for model vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by questio verum View Post
    Now here's a useful thread. Think I'll bookmark it for future reference.

When it's an option, I always try to get away from the maddening crowd as part of my unplugging ritual. I don't need total isolation, just a serene and tranquil absence of noise and drama. Being out in nature is a big plus. If I can't get out into natural surroundings, the next best thing is a good book. I'm big on astronomy, but if nothing in that genre tickles my fancy, a good fiction or a well-written biography on someone who interests me will do the trick. For a period in my life I lived up in the land of ice and snow. Nothing will make you feel unplugged like having to trudge through 4 or 5 feet of snow to get to your mailbox. It quickly makes you want to plug back in.

If I really want to treat myself, I'll go buy some time with a massage therapist or an acupuncturist, or both. Then I make sure I have a designated driver to take my relaxed a** back home.

qv
    Now that's something that I need to try, acupuncture/massage, sounds like something I could really use.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast