Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi all, Was invited over here by a friend of mine that I believe goes by the nick "Rokytnji". Name's Kai from Malaysia, and am a new user of Ubuntu. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Hi All!

Hi all,

Was invited over here by a friend of mine that I believe goes by the nick "Rokytnji".

Name's Kai from Malaysia, and am a new user of Ubuntu. Has always wanted to try but my earlier attempts were not so successful due to my laptop hard disk limitations.

Just got a new external and currently have a Live USB Ubuntu 9.04 running but am TOTALLY unfamiliar with how Ubuntu works. Shortcuts are different, terminals are alien to me, installation packages are also different!

Hoping to get used to it in a few months and maybe make the full jump. Lol.

But I'm an avid gamer too... So that might be troublesome..

Welcome to the forums.
    A friend of roky's is a friend of ours, glad to have you here, let us know if you need help with anything.
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Ooh! I had no idea that he was so popular! Hahahah.

I'm currently still booting in XP cause I've not found a Usenet or Torrenting software for Ubuntu yet and I've some of those running right now.

Be prepared for a newbie bombardment when I get into Ubuntu and have loads of questions xD

Quote Originally Posted by Kaistar View Post
    Ooh! I had no idea that he was so popular! Hahahah.

I'm currently still booting in XP cause I've not found a Usenet or Torrenting software for Ubuntu yet and I've some of those running right now.

Be prepared for a newbie bombardment when I get into Ubuntu and have loads of questions xD
    Not to worry, we'll send roky to your house with some cheap booze, you won't have many questions after that!lol
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    To Minne-freezing-sota?

Well, not that cold now that Spring is here but hohoho Roky might need to finish all that booze just to keep himself warm on the way here!

You know Roky? Friends with him, huh?

We need a better doorman... they let anybody in here nowadays!

Welcome to the Forums!
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.

Just Joined!
    Let's do the Peanut Butter Jelly Dance~ *Thinks Family Guy*

Haha doors can't stop me.

I'm like those sneaky ninjas that sneak into people's houses and assassinate their targets.

Except minus the costume. And the sneakiness. And the lethal weapons.

But suffice to say, doors and doormans are no match for me!

Hey Kaistar... Ubuntu is a very good choice as a starter distro. Their web support resources are excellent, and the popularity will mean that you shouldn't run short of answers for any Ubuntu questions that you have here.

As for your worries about games, check out offerings like CrossOver Games edition. They support a number of windoze games (via the wine environment).

Have fun.
    Respectfully... Sarlac II
    ~~
    The moving clock K' appears to K to run slow by the factor (1-v^2/c^2)^(1/2).
    This is the phenomenon of time dilation.
    The faster you run, the younger you look, to everyone but yourself.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sarlacii View Post
    Hey Kaistar... Ubuntu is a very good choice as a starter distro. Their web support resources are excellent, and the popularity will mean that you shouldn't run short of answers for any Ubuntu questions that you have here.

As for your worries about games, check out offerings like CrossOver Games edition. They support a number of windoze games (via the wine environment).

Have fun.
    Hi there Salacii,

Thanks for the info dude. When I first decided to try Ubuntu I was also informed about the WINE environment, though gaming currently isn't my main concern.

I joined this forum because my good friend Roky (which I met from another forum) said that the people here are great and I'll get all the Ubuntu guru help I'll need. Lol.

Both points which I have to agree to. The people here ARE friendly. Nothing's more of a turnoff than joining a forum that's... dead and all. Lol.

Just Joined!
    Woot! First call for help!

Hope to find a solution for that soon... It's in the Ubuntu forum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast