Find the answer to your Linux question:
Necessity is the mother of invention. I knew that sooner or later someone was going to figure out just how to do this. Thieves raid accounts of Staten Island bank ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I knew that this was bound to happen!

Necessity is the mother of invention. I knew that sooner or later someone was going to figure out just how to do this.

Thieves raid accounts of Staten Island bank - SILive.com

I wonder how long it will take for a defensive countermeasure to be invented?
    PCLinuxOS Gnome and PCLinuxOS Mate
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid
    Everything Within The Universe Is Related; We Are All Cousins!!

ATM scams have been around for a while ... false front with card reader and hidden camera to capture PIN entry have been around for a while. They usually obtain information and then withdraw money shortly afterwards ... if the machine looks odd don't use it & always cover your PIN !
    You will find lots of examples

This is a Banks ATM at one of their Branches here on Staten Island; not an ATM at a corner store.
    Linux user # 414321
    You Should Not Give In To Evils, But Proceed Ever More Boldly Against Them!! -from book six of Virgil's Aeneid

Same principle ... if the ATM is accessed from outside the bank or using a simple swipe system on access doors then it may as well be at the corner store. Physical access not restricted ...
    high financial gain + low probability of capture => high probability of attempted fraud

Right. A skimming device is a small electronic magnetic strip reader and memory chip mounted on a small flexible ribbon type IC. It can be more or less taped inside the card slot right next to the ATM's reader head on a slider, or a thin false slot front stuck to a front loader, so when you swipe your card on the ATM, you're also swiping it through the skimmer. Unless someone's specifically looking for it, it may never be noticed. Note with side skimmers... these are easier spotted: if you see two read heads on the same side of the reader, one's not legit.

The following link has an example of both kinds (though the side skimmer is external). This one also has a neat adaptation, a false keyboard top to steal PINs.
    Wawa gas pumps latest target of payment card skimming devices! | MT-Soft

Thanks for the link D-Cat

A neighbor said to me, last night, that he expects someone to tap into bank phone lines and clean accounts out that way.
    Linux user # 414321

oz
    forum.guy
    As long as money/currency has any value to mankind, I seriously doubt that there will ever be a foolproof system devised that will keep anyone from ever gaining illegal access to it.
    oz

Which needs to be eliminated; money or mankind??
    Linux user # 414321

oz
    forum.guy
    I remember them saying they eliminated the need for currency in the old Star Trek series, but I'm not sure how they accomplished it. My guess is that we'll eliminate ourselves before we figure out how to eliminate the need for currency, but who really knows what the future will bring?
    oz

Ozar, somewhere deep in what is left of my memory banks I recall something being said on Star Trek about that. I am going to ask around. I sadly have to admit that I look at young children today and I get a tear in my eye from knowing that their lives will be very perilous.
    Linux user # 414321