Find the answer to your Linux question:
Anyone know what all this is about? Adblock Plus and (a little) more: Attention NoScript users I do use adblock plus continuously, but never could get used to noscript so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    oz
    forum.guy

Adblock Plus vs NoScript Issues?

Anyone know what all this is about?

Adblock Plus and (a little) more: Attention NoScript users

I do use adblock plus continuously, but never could get used to noscript so don't run it at all, but from what I can tell it appears that they are (or were) walking on each other just a bit for those users that are running both products.
    oz

oz
    forum.guy

Speaking of Adblock Plus...

For those that might not have already heard, the fellow that does Rick's EasyList for AdBlock Plus passed away last month at a rather young age:

Adblock Plus and (a little) more: Sad news

I don't know if any of you knew him, but he was a very nice fellow that enjoyed participating on forums when he wasn't working on EasyList. He and his work will definitely be missed.
    oz

Linux Guru
    Now that ya mention it Ozar. I tried running No Scripts with Adblock and experienced those problems. I uninstalled Ad Block thinking the problem was with them. Glad you enlightened me. I think I might uninstall No Scripts as a protest gesture. Not that they would care though. Didn't know. Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Either at home or at work or down the pub
    I found noscript to be very unstable and therefore don't use it. After reading that blog I think I will be alerting people who do use to it's nefarious techiniques
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

The code in question has been removed as of 1.9.2.6, along with a profuse apology. Apparently, the Mozilla community got to him (Giorgio Maone).

hackademix.net Dear Adblock Plus and NoScript Users, Dear Mozilla Community

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    There was a lot of "who shot charlie" in this kerfuffle. I think Giorgio was sincere in his apology, and it has brought to the front the need for guidelines for Moz/FF add-ons. Hopefully this will help improve the environment for everyone concerned.

FWIW, I uninstalled NoScript some time ago when it kept hanging on me. I haven't reinstalled it since, and I am a confirmed user of AddBlockPlus. Better than sliced bread, as far as I am concerned. I used to hate accessing useful content on the internet because the ads are so obnoxious! With ABP, all (most) of that cruft has gone away, bye bye!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

I used to run ABP and noscript ... but stopped using ABP. I did not encounter problems running both - I just figured stopping script execution was more important for me and did not reload ABP after a reinstall around X-mas time. I also didn't like the idea of someone else filtering content for me and me having little control over it ... noscript gave me the option to run scripts or leave things blocked.

I viewed ABP as a convenience thing and noscript as a security thing ... I guess we choose things for different reasons ... nice to have the choice - but not impressed with the underhand approach by noscript.

I run both and have never really ran into any issues. But then, I install both as a matter of course on any OS. Right afterwards though, I go through the preferences for both to give me just the results that I'm looking for.
    Jay

New users, read this first.
    New Member FAQ
    Registered Linux User #463940
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help. Please keep it on the public boards.